Tunze 19 13.77%
Jebao 47 34.06%
Ecotech 33 23.91%
Other 16 11.59%
Combo of these 23 16.67%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 PM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I run 2 ecotech mp40wes' going on 2 years, they are ex pensive in my opinion. Love them they do everything I need them to do, they are a little noisy but I've learned to ignore them. I had koralias before they worked but were nothing special, but cheap. I can't add anything about the other pumps because I've never ran them.
If I was to buy more powerheads I would probably save up and buy QDmp40's.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
I run 2 ecotech mp40wes' going on 2 years, they are ex pensive in my opinion. Love them they do everything I need them to do, they are a little noisy but I've learned to ignore them. I had koralias before they worked but were nothing special, but cheap. I can't add anything about the other pumps because I've never ran them.
If I was to buy more powerheads I would probably save up and buy QDmp40's.
Buy the qd controller if vortech is the noisest part in your system, i did it and it does reduced up to 90% noise.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:57 AM

SpongeAl is on a distinguished road

I vote Tunze for main tank use. (Turbelle 6040 user here)

I use Koralia for utility uses like QT tanks etc. They are just OK, nothing special

I've had Ecotech, but once the novelty wears off you're left with a noisy, overpriced unreliable pump that you will be lucky to get 12-18 months of use before the shaft splits.

I can't vouch for the offshore pumps, it's a risk I'm not interested in taking. Considering the money I waste on things we don't really need, or don't want down the road in this hobby, it seems prudent to budget for a decent German pump.

My particular Tunze also has the option for battery backup without using proprietary equipment.
It is also silent at high output, whereas my Ecotech made way more noise at much lower flow rates.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I purchased my 1st EcoTech MP40 new in 2008. Picked up a few more (used) in subsequent years, upgraded magnet on the original, replaced a few normal wear items. I have some hungry snails that periodically climb on the intake cage in search of food & their shells contact the propellers, so I've had to replace them as a result. Yes, perhaps the novelty has worn off & yes the initial investment was a bitter pill, but these pumps have been doing a great job for 8 years, 7 years, 6 years.... Have yet to experience any 'shaft split'. One of the advantages of the VorTech is that virtually every part on the wet side is easily replaced, available & reasonably priced. If the dry sides on mine were all to fail tomorrow, they would owe me nothing based on the number of years of service they've provided.

A photo of the hardware to show it's been in the system for a while... (I've since cleaned them up in a vinegar solution)

A few of the dynamic components subject to wear that are replaceable on the wet side. Sure beats having to toss the entire power head in the trash for want of replacement parts.

I've also made upgrades to drivers over the years, but cost spread out so not a big deal. My first MP40 is a gen 1 which I was able to easily upgrade to the latest configuration once the redesigned parts were available. The gen 1 was fitted with a poorly designed wet side magnet but EcoTech quickly came up with the redesign without folks having to spend a fortune for an entirely new power head.

The gen 1 wet side magnet after 6 months in the tank. I think I purchased mine about a month before they did the redesign, bad timing for me, but hey... it got fixed for about $10 at the time.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 PM

SpongeAl is on a distinguished road

I tried to dig up a picture for you, but could not find it.

Basically the MP10's have a steel shaft covered by a white ceramic type material. It is this central steel core that rusts, then splits the outer later causing noise and accelerated wear.

I first heard this new noise at about the 10 month point, I tried cleaning it a few times to no avail, eventually I took a real close look and found the issue a few cleans later when the noise persisted.

Anyhow I only ever used it at around 30% max power, so it was strictly a corrosion issue.

IMO kinda lame design for such a little pump that tips the scales at around $400.

It is nice to see the larger ones don't appear to have a steel shaft, thanks for sharing that picture.

Anyhow I'm happy with the little Turbelle now, it has enough control-ability that I no longer need a MP10 just to have a DC wavemaker in a small reef.

(No reef crest mode, but you can set dual speeds, set the timing between these speeds, feed button and does waves if that floats your boat.)
Old 11-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Reef.ductionist is on a distinguished road

I have a 14 gallon biocube mod and tried the ecotech but sold mine after about one year. While my experience with the vortech mp10eco was positive overall:
(ie.- I enjoyed creating more complex wave patterns fir my tank), I felt the hub protuding out of the side of my aquarium was very unsightly and detracted attention away from the tank itself.(I prefer a much more streamlined look).
Now Im anticipating the new hydor Aquami series wave pumps with wifi controller which are scheduled for release in Canada in early 2017.
I cannot jutsify spending 500.00 on a tunze wave system.

Last edited by Reef.ductionist; 11-23-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:29 PM

Reef.ductionist is on a distinguished road

The hydor Aq mai info is on their facebook page.