Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
This is going to be awesome! So happy to see you doing another big build...if it's anything like the last one we're all in for a good ride.

Have you thought about a DIY LED fixture for a tank that size? I am only doing a 290g but the savings of going LED just on bulbs, etc really made a lot of sense.
Lol thanks but this won't be like the other build for a few reasons: No high end skimmer or light planned. The lighting I have (need to pickup more reflectors I guess) but the skimmer I have no idea about.

I'm trying to make this a larger version of my current tank. Modest in design and equipment but easy to care for and relatively successful.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I'm planning on going with the Octopus XP Cone 5000 internal skimmer. I think the External might be a good match for your tank...they have pretty good reviews...semi-reasonable pricing and a 3 year warranty on the pump.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I am leaning towards using one of Paul's new Ocean Motion devices but I need his (and anyone else's) input to plan where I need holes. I would like to have current flow one direction for maybe 60 seconds, then reverse and flow the other way. I'm interested in reversing the intakes as well like I think Paul has demonstrated. I'm still confused so hopefully he can chime in here.
Where to start, as usual there will be lots of questions.

What type of coral would you like to keep..
Do you have an idea of the aquascaping,
Can we plumb both ends,
Can we drill the bottom
What internal turnover do you think you would like.
Do you have flood insurance J/K

Paul
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Paul, I always enjoy your sense of humour. You don't post much, but every time you do, I chuckle.

Brett, glad that you can get going on this sucker. Should be an amazing tank. Paul is really good to deal with. When I was setting up my tank he helped me with my closed loop/flow even though I didn't even buy the 4way from him. He spend lots of time on the phone explaining and pm'd diagrams etc. Almost a year and a half later, I wouldn't change a thing about my plumbing. I don't have a single powerhead in the tank and all my outlets are hidden and all my sps corals still seem to be getting enough flow.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

WOW Man!.....thats going to be one monster tank..I'm looking forward to seeing this all come together.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf nut View Post
Where to start, as usual there will be lots of questions.

What type of coral would you like to keep..
Do you have an idea of the aquascaping,
Can we plumb both ends,
Can we drill the bottom
What internal turnover do you think you would like.
Do you have flood insurance J/K

Paul
Paul thanks for chiming in here =)

- Mostly SPS. Some acans, zoas in the mix as well but mostly sticks
- I think the rockwork will be one larger pile and maybe one or two smaller ones. The piles might be closer to low towers. I am open to working outlets and inlets into these structures. Open sand between structures.
- We can plumb through all panes except the front and the viewable end. Even 90s or 45s a few inches away from the front or side panel are ok
- Drill bottom sure. This is a new thing for me to be down with. I'm IN.
- in my current tank I have a nano wavebox and 3x6025s (modded) and eheim return. So not even a ton of flow. That's maybe 35X not counting wavebox. I think I'll need more than that so long as it's planned right
- I will likely have sand. I envisioned intakes in a rock tower like Dez but maybe 12" off ground to avoid sand?

I'm open to the tidal thing or your traditional 'keep stuff suspended and just get it to the overflow' thinking. I likely won't be doing a wavebox in this setep tho so I'd like to match its ability to move all areas of the tank.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Paul, I always enjoy your sense of humour. You don't post much, but every time you do, I chuckle.

Brett, glad that you can get going on this sucker. Should be an amazing tank. Paul is really good to deal with. When I was setting up my tank he helped me with my closed loop/flow even though I didn't even buy the 4way from him. He spend lots of time on the phone explaining and pm'd diagrams etc. Almost a year and a half later, I wouldn't change a thing about my plumbing. I don't have a single powerhead in the tank and all my outlets are hidden and all my sps corals still seem to be getting enough flow.
I've heard the same which is why I really wanted his input. I love the uncluttered look of your tank.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris121277 View Post
WOW Man!.....thats going to be one monster tank..I'm looking forward to seeing this all come together.
Thanks I'm looking forward to it as well. It will move faster than the first big one I hope.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Looks like its going to be a very nice build & tank, Brett. Good luck with it all. I can sell you my 160 in awhile and you can run a pair then.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough