Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Concept Aquatics

Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

I think Vertex has the best all in one package with the Illumina but the price tag is enough to give a guy a heart attack! I would love to have one but I would need to save enough for the fixture and a divorce! I love Vertex products but they need to work on how they promote and support their products. When I bought my Illumilux fixtures there was no instructions in the box and nothing on the website, there are clips and little rubber inserts that I have no idea where they go. When I bought the fixtures I had Red Coral order the hanging kit for me as well. I already have it installed but when I try to pull it up on the Vertex website it says "coming soon".
Old 09-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Okay so I got to play with all these technologies this weekend at MACNA...the Ecotech was very impressive...though they chose not to put it over a real reef...just an empty tank with their pumps. Given that there are at least a dozen LED fixtures down here...I think they needed to show it off better so that we could see the spectrum. The Orpek light probably looked the best over coral at the whole show and it lacks many of the features the others have...but the blend was just better. The Maxspects are really nice...spread is similar to Radion and they are cheaper. Build quality was also very impressive.
AI has a new light (as yet unnamed) which uses the XML whites...thus the huge drop in pricing on the current AI Sol. The new AI interface was wicked cool on the new lights.
Although the Vertex is a nice fixture...they too chose not to display it with a reef...just an empty tank.
Although I hate to say this...Coralife was showing off a new LED fixture that really made the reef look good. To be released in the next couple months...pricing unknown. They use red LED's as well.
My last comment would be that Sanjay did a very impressive review of LED fixtures and he was not as impressed with the Vertex and Ecotech as he was with some of the other fixtures, especially with their PAR. He did end the discussion with a statement about how he still prefers MH to LED because it doesn't rely on the manufacturers doing their research as much as it just dumps light everywhere leaving less guess work as to whether the light is covering everything.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the first hand info Mark, nothing like being there & seeing all the technology in person. Interesting perspective from Mr. Dr.? Sanjay. I've been on the verge of going LED for some time now but keep sitting on the fence, watching all the DIY builds and ever increasing number of new entrants to the fixture game. Interesting to see the initial hype with Crees and now more fixture providers starting to design their own LEDs (Orphek) and/or using other manufacturers more in tune with marine livestock requirements as far as spectrum, rather than pure lumens per watt hype.

The plot thickens and competition is getting intense. I think I'll wait just a little longer......
Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

What an amazing thing to be able to SEE all of the fixtures running in person and at the same time so you can make comparisons...
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
What an amazing thing to be able to SEE all of the fixtures running in person and at the same time so you can make comparisons...
Yeah with a readily available par meter, I had mh, t5 and led in my basement so newbies could see the difference, but i am going to phase out the mh's. I totally need to get one of these fixtures tho. I will be able to compare it to the 24" vertex fixture.

360 Reef Tank
Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
My last comment would be that Sanjay did a very impressive review of LED fixtures and he was not as impressed with the Vertex and Ecotech as he was with some of the other fixtures, especially with their PAR. He did end the discussion with a statement about how he still prefers MH to LED because it doesn't rely on the manufacturers doing their research as much as it just dumps light everywhere leaving less guess work as to whether the light is covering everything.
Wow, Sanjay actually did WORK? lol
Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM

dave_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Wow, Sanjay actually did WORK? lol
Hey get off my forum

you are not allowed to post in here until you get a cerebra into my hands lol

that's all i have to say about that

p.s a working one would be nice!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave@conceptaquatics View Post
Hey get off my forum

Your love is like the gentle autumn breeze. Did anyone ever tell you that Dave?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave@conceptaquatics View Post
Hey get off my forum

Hey if you knock a few feet off your display tank Dave you might have room to set the Libra up on a shelf ?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Canadian pricing is officially set at $825.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. It certainally makes for a good discussion.

- Brad