Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM

TheDogFather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
Reefbuilders has some more information about the ReefTech Prometheus lighting

"The Prometheus LED from ReefTech is a new lighting fixture which is a fresh departure from the rebadged LED lights which have been flooding the aquarium market. With some clear design and engineering inspiration from PacificSun LED Phobos/Deimos series, the ReefTech Prometheus LED features actively cooled Cree XPG LEDs driven at 3watts each, tricolor white, blue and royal blue LEDs, no standard secondary optics, onboard controller, active cooling and bluetooth and wifi connectivity which will be interoperable with an iPhone application when it launches." - Full Article Here
I applaud more entrants into the Aquarium LED lighting business but I must say that I am not at all impressed by the Prometheus. Looks like ReefTech are trying to emulate the design principals of the Vertex Illumina (no optics PCB) and functionality (wireless, progressive dimming) but with poorly executed thermal management and an even worse exterior design this fixture leaves a lot of room for improvement IMO.

-TDF
Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogFather View Post
I applaud more entrants into the Aquarium LED lighting business but I must say that I am not at all impressed by the Prometheus. Looks like ReefTech are trying to emulate the design principals of the Vertex Illumina (no optics PCB) and functionality (wireless, progressive dimming) but with poorly executed thermal management and an even worse exterior design this fixture leaves a lot of room for improvement IMO.

-TDF
Why would you say poorly executed thermal management?...I find most of the units out there with passive thermal management are more "poorly managed".

I don't find that the unit looks all that bad either. I do suspect that it will be far too pricey, just like it's Vertex counterpart.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Why would you say poorly executed thermal management?...I find most of the units out there with passive thermal management are more "poorly managed".

I don't find that the unit looks all that bad either. I do suspect that it will be far too pricey, just like it's Vertex counterpart.
Mark - $1099USD Retail. $99 for the WiFi Adapter. Multiple lights can be linked where only one WiFi adapter is required for the cluster.

Quote:

-TDF
Vertex isn’t the inspiration for these lights? – Pacific Sun is the inspiration for these lights and they have been lighting aquariums with LEDs for many years before Vertex introduced their lighting. I think if you really look at the Vertex illumina, you might find that there is more than one idea borrowed from Pacific Sun. The Pacific Sun lamps have been advocating the ‘no optic’ design for many years.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63818 – Some of the links are dead, but the thread predates the Illumina.

I’d have to agree that the Illumina is an exceptionally well engineered product, but why would others not try to emulate a great product?

With that said, I don’t think these lights have all that much in common. The Vertex lights are all about style while the ReefTech lights are more about PAR (or whatever measure of coral loving light you want to use). If you are looking for a fixture for your living room, than Vertex is probably the way to go, but the ReefTech lights may be a better option if your tank has a canopy or you are replacing a MH pendant. They are certainly more cost effective.

For my tank, the front to back depth is 3 feet. It’s hard to imagine how the Illumina could fully light the tank better than the ReefTech lights. Optics are not really an option as I could never get the spread that I need with them.

Anyway, as I have already pointed out, I have been talking with the owner of ReefTech. What I haven’t mentioned yet is that I have ordered one of these lights for evaluation. Interestingly enough, I also have access to a Vertex 260 fixture, so a side by side comparison might be fun. Let each product shine where it may .

I did get some information back from ReefTech in response to your questions. Rather than sugar coat it, I’ll just post what they said.

Quote:
1) Person who designed ReefTech also designed LED lamp that was wireless almost 18 months before Vertex.

2) Using Wifi or BlueTooth allows for range of capabilities that Vertex is limited to zgb radio – for example with WIFI you can control lights from anywhere where you have internet connection or iPhone.

3) Optics are optional – and you can install 40,60 or 80 degree

4) “poorly executed thermal management” – how can you say that when Vertex drives LED at 2.6W and cannot get the best out of XPG led chips while ReefTech is capable of driving at 3W? Have you noticed the size of thermapads that allow for better heat transfer? Also – the special air duct tunnel that doesn’t allow mixing hot and cold air?

5) Something that Vertex will follow – double layer MPCB boards that allow for better mix and match of LED chips – ReefTech already did that.
- Brad
Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

wow, thanks for getting back with answers so quickly. Very interesting pricing...does anyone know the light spread on these units?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 PM

TheDogFather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vertex isn’t the inspiration for these lights? – Pacific Sun is the inspiration for these lights and they have been lighting aquariums with LEDs for many years before Vertex introduced their lighting. I think if you really look at the Vertex illumina, you might find that there is more than one idea borrowed from Pacific Sun. The Pacific Sun lamps have been advocating the ‘no optic’ design for many years.
Well, the same could be said about PS looking to the PFO Solaris for inspiration... PFO was in the Reef LED business earlier (2007) than PS (2008 designs and late 2009 to market).

I read somewhere that the engineer who was contracted to design the initial PS LED fixtures is also the brains behind the the ReefTech design. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:
With that said, I don’t think these lights have all that much in common. The Vertex lights are all about style while the ReefTech lights are more about PAR (or whatever measure of coral loving light you want to use).
I'm not sure what you base that statement on. The Vertex engineers take their lights to the top light lab in Europe (if not the world) to get performance measurement data on their designs. No one else in the industry does this to my knowledge. The new 260 driven at only 2.5W to extend diode life, reduce colour shift and heat is a PAR monster and at 100% power will likely bleach out any living creature placed beneath it.

Quote:
For my tank, the front to back depth is 3 feet. It’s hard to imagine how the Illumina could fully light the tank better than the ReefTech lights. Optics are not really an option as I could never get the spread that I need with them.
The Illumina with it's center strip of diodes at 120 degrees is designed to cover a 36" deep (front to back) tank when suspended at 6" over the water. My tank is 30" and it has excellent coverage at that height.

I would love to see the results of a side-by-side comparison but tests performed by hobbyists are always somewhat subjective. What we need is an independent body to take these lights into the lab and measure them under identical conditions with calibrated instruments.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that there are more fixtures entering the market and everyone will have their own reasons to prefer one make over another...

Last edited by TheDogFather; 01-28-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I read somewhere that the engineer who was contracted to design the initial PS LED fixtures is also the brains behind the the ReefTech design. Can anyone confirm this?
There is truth to this, but as with everything there is more to the story. In essence, this is really no different than what happens every day in business. An engineer went to work for a competitor. My current employer is a competitor of my previous employer. It's hard to move within an industry without going to a competitor. That's just the way things go sometimes.

I do know the lights that Leszek designed for ReefTech are not simply the next generation Pacific Sun lights. There are many new and innovative ideas and everything has been designed from the ground up.

I'd be happy to share more of what I know (PM me if you like), but as I can't honestly validate everything, I'm not comfortable posting it publically. I'd rather see this thread used to discuss the technology. We are both passionate about LED lighting and I welcome the debate on this front.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

Speaking of using this thread to discuss LED lighting fixtures...I was in Toronto for business a little while back and pulled over at a fish store (can't remember the name) and they had one of these hanging over a display tank. Looked pretty nice and they said they had sold a few of them. Not sure of pricing but I've also seen this on a few larger threads in the US.

http://www.acanlighting.com/

Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 PM

ReefTech LED Sunrise Video: http://www.reeftechled.com/?page_id=362

ReefTech LED Sunset Video: http://www.reeftechled.com/?page_id=365

ReefTech LED Images: http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/...ium%20session/
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Nice setup...are those batfish? I love how they school...

Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I have taken my post out as you requested. I do believe the truth falls some where in the middle. you and I will never know.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013

Last edited by Bblinks; 02-11-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Tags
cree, illumina, led, pacific sun, reeftech