Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

the best way to ship anything fragile is to not mark it fragile from what i find. None of the boxes i receive that are unmarked are ever in bad condition. 1/2 of the fragile ones have crushed corners, holes, rips, etc.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM

southerner2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
What???...If you do, why don't you fill me in...?

Wait a minute...is this Michael Ignatieff again???

I joke, I kid...

Anyway, Do you own one of these Orphek fixtures?

I don't know what you are talking about with the Michael thing but....whatever.....

I wish I had one of the PR156....I am however running one of their ML7 and am kicking around the idea of a PR156....

I am convinced that no matter what things will change as soon as I buy a new fixture.....

Cale, why don't you buy and test one then I'll take it off your hands for 1/2 price afterwards...

Seriously though everywhere you look people are slamming Orphek and praising AI or all these cheap chinese lights that are made with Generic diodes. I have a guy in our club that is "manufacturing" them himself....from china....they look exactly like other companies lights.... I think there is one or two companies over their making the same fixtures and selling them as custom orders to tons of different people....I showed him the sites and he didn't have anything to say....
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerner2 View Post
I don't know what you are talking about with the Michael thing but....whatever.....
Sorry, Canadian Joke...
Quote:
I wish I had one of the PR156....I am however running one of their ML7 and am kicking around the idea of a PR156....

I am convinced that no matter what things will change as soon as I buy a new fixture.....

Cale, why don't you buy and test one then I'll take it off your hands for 1/2 price afterwards...

Seriously though everywhere you look people are slamming Orphek and praising AI or all these cheap chinese lights that are made with Generic diodes. I have a guy in our club that is "manufacturing" them himself....from china....they look exactly like other companies lights.... I think there is one or two companies over their making the same fixtures and selling them as custom orders to tons of different people....I showed him the sites and he didn't have anything to say....

Well I'm not interested in slamming Orphek, I don't know allot about them but I do know they are not not controllable/dimmable, so I have no interest in owning one. I understand your statement that the corals/fish don't care about these features, I'm sure there is allot of things they don't care about, without going all PETA here, keeping fish in glass boxes is all about us, thus said, having these features are no different. I like new technology.

Last edited by cale262; 05-04-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
I understand your statement that the corals/fish don't care about these features, I'm sure there is allot of things they don't care about, without going all PETA here, keeping fish in glass boxes is all about us, thus said, having these features are no different. I like new technology.
I agree corals don't care. Lights on, lights off, it's all good.

However, I think the fish do care. Non dimmable LEDs come on at full strength with very little ramp up time. If you have enough LED light to keep SPS, that amounts to a big flash. I have my lights running a sunrise and sunset across the tank. The fish are very much aware of what's happening and they adjust their behavior according to the phase of sunlight. In the evening when the lights are dimming, you can see the fish getting ready for the night by securing a spot in the rockwork. There is also a shift across the tank to stay with the light. It's really interesting to watch but more importantly I think it helps to reduce stress and perhaps results in less aggression between fish.

Looking forward to your feedback on the ReefTech.

- Brad
Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Now....that is something I can work with..... I like the dimming function too...but have never used it.... Maybe its from lack of concern or whatever....

Cale, I like technology too.... just ask my wife....gets me in trouble too often....

The problem as I see it is all the companies out there that are just slapping all their fixtures together. Many of them are the same junk LEDs over and over. There are a few manufacturing houses in China that are making them for so many people it's not even funny..... Give me a while and I will try to find two examples.....

As for the Orphek....I think they are doing some good rock solid research and manufacturing. They have a light system that produces like no other. Could they use dimming? Sure. They could also integrate it into my Reef keeper Elite....I would LOVE that!!!!!!!

Give me a bit on the examples.....
Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

W..T...H...?????
Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM

This is an image I got from the guy in my club. He claims he is manufacturing these but I have seen this same fixture from multiple sources....

What he does is custom specs...... Like so many others. He coordinates through a Chinese company and approves the final product and has to order so many of them to get them....

I have seen his tank. It looks ok. Tons of Corralline but it's all brown and his SPS are doing ok.... He has different versions of this same light on different portions of his tank....

I sent the pics to myself so I didn't have to send him traffic to his site...

Tags
cree, illumina, led, pacific sun, reeftech