Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-19-2019, 01:10 PM

DW79 is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting question?

Hi there, new to this site and have a question about lighting. Recently got the Orbit Marine IC Pro. Just for soft corals, but should I ever want to get some LPS, is this light strong enough and does anyone have any experience with it?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:23 PM

cvrle1 is on a distinguished road

I would say possibly, but I wouldnt do it. That light it using 0.5W LEDs, which are good for really shallow tanks or low light corals. While they could keep some corals alive, depending on depth of your tank, I wouldnt use them once you get into LPS. There is a big difference between light being able to keep coral alive, and make coral thrive and grow.

What size of tank do you have? There are some cheap alternatives that are much better choice.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Tank is a 46 bow front and 18 inchs deep
Old 07-25-2019, 05:57 AM

Reyphox is on a distinguished road

Assuming you have the 4226 Model (36"-48"), you could keep some LPS but they would probably need to be in the upper half and your light should ramp up to maximum levels during the day. You could choose LPS that like lower light. You would be surprised on how little light some LPS need. You could also go into non-photosynthetic corals like sun corals and dendros but they do require feeding.

If you are serious about getting into LPS and want nice growth, you could double up and get a second Orbit light fixture or sell what you got and get 2 AI Primes OR if you want to go the cheap route (like me), you can get a 300W Vipraspectra Chinese LED of amazon. No Sunset/Sunrise but has a timer, light intensity is adjustable, comes with remote, perfect size for a 3 foot tank and if you every want to try SPS, it's got more then enough power to get you into that.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:52 AM

The orbit model I have is the (36"-48") and came with 2 lights. I have since added a Duncan and a Blastomussa frag and both have been doing very well and have both adjusted nicely. Don't think I will get into SPS, as I like the look and movement of softies and LPS.
Thank you for the info on the other light and if I am ever looking for something else, I will definetly keep that in mind
Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 PM

Reyphox is on a distinguished road

Oh so you already have two Orbit fixtures? Then you got all you need!! LPS away!!