Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

My location is places lol
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Thanks brad that would be cool. I also use the new post button a lot of the time, and totally agree with reef pilot. Just a lil location tag beside there name or something.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I always use the New Posts button on top where it lists all the newest threads. Couldn't Location be added right beside the Member name, underneath the Thread name?

It's not a big deal with me, but if it is a simple change, might be helpful to some.
I don't think that's an option. There are also a lot of people that sign up with province or country instead of city.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Another capability that might be helpful is the ability to change the original thread title (not posts) for a number of reasons.

1. On a FS thread, could add Sold to the end of the thread name, and people wouldn't have to open it, just to find out that the item(s) are sold.

2. Some FS threads might change over time. Eg., the thread name might originally incl several items, some of which might be sold or not available later. Would then not be necessary to start a new thread, or have multiple FS threads to start, which just clutter up the forum.

3. Some topics change with time, and a name change could better reflect the current postings, again, without having to start a new thread. It is still nice to retain the original posts, to see where the thread has gone.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Another capability that might be helpful is the ability to change the original thread title (not posts) for a number of reasons.

1. On a FS thread, could add Sold to the end of the thread name, and people wouldn't have to open it, just to find out that the item(s) are sold.

2. Some FS threads might change over time. Eg., the thread name might originally incl several items, some of which might be sold or not available later. Would then not be necessary to start a new thread, or have multiple FS threads to start, which just clutter up the forum.

3. Some topics change with time, and a name change could better reflect the current postings, again, without having to start a new thread. It is still nice to retain the original posts, to see where the thread has gone.
Again, another thing that I don't think is possible with the software. Editing is an all or nothing option, and All never worked out well. Perhaps Titus can look at available options for granularity in this area.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello

Okay assume for buy sell classified whatever you call it will be built from the ground up and we aren't working within the confines of the current software.

As for write ups yes I'm looking into having a series of different types of write ups from a panel of SMEs in house on Canreef. So nominate some names of who you wish to see doing the writings, from hardware reviews, chemistry, breeding, blah.

Shall we subsidize a university biology or chemistry or fisheries dept so they can identify ways to better do things like controlling algae or whatever? I don't know but maybe Canreef donate a tank setup and let them do their research on it? How should we set it up? What experiments we should do? Any universities or official bodies will be interested?

And then there will be reference libraries of corals, fishes, algae with pictures and characteristics. Each time someone post an ad it'd contribute photos to build this library?

I don't know what we will end up doing, how exactly yet but I want to invest in Canreef this year with some projects. I need some help here with ideas, or maybe even someone to help with running or writing or contacting universities, labs, whatever.

The more crazy ideas we throw in here the better we can do. Don't let the confines of vBulletin 3 / 4 / 5 limit what we can do.

Canreef member QR codes on a Canreef app so you get discounts from participating sponsors? I don't know. Sponsors broadcasting coupons to first 5 responding members? Put your brain muscles to work. Ideas.

Titus
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation
Default What would you like to see here

Hello

Also for the location of seller thing, I think there is a way to find out via IP very accurately. Just that I have to pay to subscribe for a service. I'll look into this. It's almost 02:00 here so bed time for me. Go on please.

Titus
Old 01-16-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus View Post
Shall we subsidize a university biology or chemistry or fisheries dept so they can identify ways to better do things like controlling algae or whatever? I don't know but maybe Canreef donate a tank setup and let them do their research on it? How should we set it up? What experiments we should do? Any universities or official bodies will be interested?
Maybe free sponsorship for some non-profit or public organizations might incent them to participate on Canreef. That would be great.

Also would be nice to get Vancouver Aquarium and Ripley's (in Toronto) to participate. I am sure they have a few little secrets about reef keeping that we would all like to read about.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Again, another thing that I don't think is possible with the software. Editing is an all or nothing option, and All never worked out well. Perhaps Titus can look at available options for granularity in this area.
I guess you guys don't have access to the source code, or the ability to add macros, hooks, etc? Of course, I realize that is often not a good idea, with upgrades, testing, etc,...
Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I would like to see a new logo. It would give the site a freshened and updated look :-)