Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough
Default GBTA Spawning?

I've been out doing yard work most of the day, came in about 20 minutes ago to see my tank all cloudy. After observing for about 10 minutes I confirmed that one of my BTAs is spewing white stuff.

I just did a water change 2 days ago, fish & coral seem unaffected by the event so far. I also refreshed my carbon when I did the water change. My tank has no sump so I've thrown in an aquaclear 802 powerhead with the filter attachment to see if that might help clear things up in the 60 or so gals I have in the display.

Has anyone experienced a BTA spawning event and can provide me with some additional advice? Should I be cranking up the RODI & getting ready for another water change? I don't have any water ready at the moment & the darn thing is still putting out occasional bursts of spawn.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 AM

Well, a couple of hours later, lights out now, bbq steak on the table, the tank seems to have cleared up & the critters appear ok. Maybe I'll do some water tests tomorrow morning.... or not. I'll leave the extra powerhead in there overnight, if nothing else it will polish the water, maybe catch some diatoms.

Still would be cool to hear someone else check in who's had a similar experience. I also had an urchin spew some time ago, clouded up the tank too & IIRC nothing bad happened either.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-06-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 AM

Cracken is on a distinguished road

I would Definately do some water tests tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracken View Post
I would Definately do some water tests tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice. First row of LED lights just came on, the water is crystal clear & everything looks normal. I think for now I'll rely on my visual test. Not sure any of the other water tests I have will tell me much other than to possibly do a water change for elevated nitrates. I don't have an algae problem at the moment, so I'll probably just leave well enough alone. May move the next water change up a week.

Thanks again.