Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-05-2010, 04:18 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road
Default nazerine's 28g nanocube

So the time has finally come to setup a new nanocube, my old 24g met it's demise while being moved and got cracked

This time I decided to use a big skimmer, even though traditionally never ran a skimmer on my own tank. The dimensions are 15x11x14" (LxWxH) built from 6mm acrylic. Skimmer is a Vertex IN-80

Dry fit, fits inside the stand. There is foam under the sump now for water testing.

The return comes through the false wall with a bulkhead fitting. I put the 90 degree fitting which reduces 3/4" to 1/2", because I didn't have any 3/4" locline handy. Will change soon. Also drilled a hole in the 90 to break the syphon when power is off.

You can see how the bulkhead is installed, and the return goes up and over the back. Emergency drain needs to be trimmed about 1/8"

For the drain I went with a herbie style setup (main drain with gate valve, backup drain, and return). Went with lots of unions and some spaflex to make my life easier and keep things clean. The return has the two 45s to move the pipe away from the glass to allow the union clearance, and to align the pipe with the opening in the stand

Sump shot with water flowing through, another tee on the return for feeding a reactor or such in the future.

Overall I'm very happy with how silent the plumbing is, the loudest part is the stock nanocube pumps buzzing, going to have to get 2xMJ1200. No slurping or splashing, and the gate valve keeps the water level in the rear chambers stable.

Hopefully going to finish getting the rock ready this week and fill it with some saltwater
Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Dude that looks great love the compact sump too well done
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 AM

Eduardo is on a distinguished road

Very sleek.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

cool concept turning a nano into a sump ran system.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Hopefully some rock will be going in tonight or tomorrow.

I've been hoarding some very very unique Vava'u Deepwater rock from Tonga for over a year now, waiting for this project to finally come to light.

Can we all say "bonsai cube" ??
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazerine View Post
Thanks for the kind comments guys. Hopefully some rock will be going in tonight or tomorrow.

I've been hoarding some very very unique Vava'u Deepwater rock from Tonga for over a year now, waiting for this project to finally come to light.

Can we all say "bonsai cube" ??
that is what Im going to do too man good luck with the pieces
Old 04-07-2010, 02:58 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Did you make that sump yourself? i really like it
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol

oh snap! Bonzai Cube! Totally interested now, and you are using tonga....cool, what are you focusing on for corals then if you are making a Bonzai aqquascape...wiggly LPS and softies or the mezmerizing fuzzy sticks of SPS?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
Did you make that sump yourself? i really like it
Yeah, it's nice having a work place that sells power tools. Acrylic isn't that hard to work with once you've had some practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
oh snap! Bonzai Cube! Totally interested now, and you are using tonga....cool, what are you focusing on for corals then if you are making a Bonzai aqquascape...wiggly LPS and softies or the mezmerizing fuzzy sticks of SPS?
Mostly SPS, as that's what I currently have in my other tank. Would like to see top half, branching area with stony branching corals, and lower area near sand bed with acans and rics. But we'll see how it progresses. Everything is getting moved over to the 28g nanocube. We'll see what makes the cut, otherwise some lps can go into tank at work. Would like to have some enscrolling montis growing on the back wall.

Managed to find some time tonight and played with rock. Very excited about these pieces. Need to get a diamond blade for my angle grinder tomorrow to finish it off.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM

That sounds great! I like the idea of the montis on the back wall. What kind of lighting you planning for this baby?