Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Awful mag drive pump noise

So I recently built a 20g for my boss, simple enough tank to get his feet wet in saltwater. I drilled it for a small closed loop system with a Mag-drive 350 ..

All is well except for the awful noise the pump makes. After some digging around it seems the mistake was using a magnetic drive externally.

The pump is also plumbed in using spa-flex, anyone have other suggestions how to quiet it down? I've been pondering how to submerge it behind the tank...

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Another quick note, the noise it makes I would describe as being similar to cavitation .. almost sounds like bursts of water noise sometimes, or similar to as if the impeller was barely grazing the casing ...
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 AM

rattler is on a distinguished road
Default Mag problems

you did not say if this mag is new or used? I just replaced the front cover of my mag 12 as the shaft wore an oblong hole in the holder where the shaft fits in. It was grinding just as you describe.

Cheers!
rattler
Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Are you married to using the pump?

Magdrives are awesome because they're nearly indestructible workhorses. But dang they are loud like jackhammers..

My suggestion, look into a Hydor Seltz L25 or L30 (similar specs), they have pretty good reputations. Supposedly they can be run inline, I haven't tried it though. But they use threaded 1/2" inlets and outlets same as the Mag drives so theoretically possible.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM

Yeah the pump is brand new

Thanks Tony, I'll take a look at the Hydor Seltz L25 or L30. I think it may just be the mag-drive is loud .. yikes, cause I disconnected it and put it in a bucket of water, but you can feel the vibration though the water....

I managed to pickup two Iwaki MD-30R used for under $100; have to see how quiet those are....
Old 01-25-2009, 12:33 AM

phantomzero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazerine View Post
So I recently built a 20g for my boss, simple enough tank to get his feet wet in saltwater.
I hope the Iwaki's do the trick... the noise is making it difficult to get me work done...