Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road
Default Frogspawn Color

I have a 'brown' branching frogspawn that I've had for about 7 months now. In the last few days some tentacles have started to turn green from brown; going green to brown, from bottom to top. All tips are pink.

Last month when I upgraded from pc to mh, I rushed the light acclimation and had a small ammonia spike, which affected the health of everything in my tank.....

Would this color change be part of the healing/growing process, or having upgraded lighting? The frogspawn flourished under the PC lighting (always fully extended, grew 3 more polyps) I got the frogspawn from reefkeepers, and in their tank it showed noooo sign of green then
Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 PM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Green makes them worth more so thats a good thing. I would think the lights are the reason but still good. I have 3 differnt types and all have some green in them.

Scott
Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

It's lighting upgrade. I have a Hammer frag that is a wicked neon green with purple tips that I bought from under MH lighting. I have it under T5s, and it's not nearly as bright. I'm confident the color will come back when I upgrade to MH.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Sweet! I am very pleased with results of the metal halides! Shimmer = A+
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

ya brown-green and vice versa is common, the last colony i got, brown acro with purple tips, turned bright green with blue tips, but since we're talking about lps here, same thing happened with my plate coral, total color morph from tan with white tips to greenish with white tips, yup..power of halides

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 03-27-2008, 04:18 AM

hecks220 is on a distinguished road

A poor light acclimation causes overproduction of nutrients from zooanthelae in the tissues of corals. This rapid unaccustomed buildup causes toxicity in the coral...tone it down and good luck

65g/20g reef system, Euro RS-80, 2x tunze 6055, mod 6025, mag7, 250 HQI w/192 actinics, 100 lbs. LR
46g FOWLR