Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
we use biopellets in our SPS LPS tanks.

when we stop the pellets for a day cyano takes over
So which is the better option? I ran carbon and rowaphos in my 55 all the time in the canister filter and had no issues. I've increased the flow from the return pump, changed the setting on the pumps, basted off the rocks. Will add carbon tonight....water change tomorrow
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
So which is the better option? I ran carbon and rowaphos in my 55 all the time in the canister filter and had no issues. I've increased the flow from the return pump, changed the setting on the pumps, basted off the rocks. Will add carbon tonight....water change tomorrow

are you removing what you can manually?? if you suck out as much as you can, shut your lights down for a couple of days, do a hefty water change and increase flow it should dissapear in no time
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 AM
R.I.P.

but once you do this you need to continue to starve the bacteria by cutting off its foodsources
Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 AM

Well my turkey baster sucks, I tried to get it out but it would just drop it back in the water, so I stopped. I dont think I'm over feeding as the feeding routine hasn't changed, flow maybe?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Well my turkey baster sucks, I tried to get it out but it would just drop it back in the water, so I stopped. I dont think I'm over feeding as the feeding routine hasn't changed, flow maybe?

another thing you can do is brush it off and net some of it out

cyano can be caused from alot of different things in my small tank snail spawning would do it for me. if something dies and isnt found it could do it too.

a blackout is another option to look at after a few days without anylight would help alot
Old 03-30-2012, 02:46 AM
R.I.P.

if the net is too big or the holes to large aim all yor powerheads towards your overflow and get it down the overflow.if you dont have a filter sock a pantyhose will filter it all out

when i had outbreaks in my zoa tank i would vacumn it out and run it through pantyhose over a bucket to get my water back lol:P worked great
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 AM
R.I.P.

but if you keep removing what you can when ever you can and keep starving your bound to win

i think you have enough flow for your tank more flow wont hurt but your not lacking either

gfo is great i run it all the time i would never run a tank without it now its amazing what it does b y its self alone.

rowaphos to my knowlege is a type of gfo, but it works better in a reactor in a tank as large as a 180g you need to run it through a reactor.

a cheap reactor is very easy to build google "gatorade reactor" i built one and it worked great on a small tank.reactors are cheap though you could get one for $30-50
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 AM

Great suggestions, will try the net. A blackout isn't an option as we are leaving this weekend for a week, tank sitter won't deal with anything except top ups and feeding. Have cut the lights back.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
but if you keep removing what you can when ever you can and keep starving your bound to win

i think you have enough flow for your tank more flow wont hurt but your not lacking either

gfo is great i run it all the time i would never run a tank without it now its amazing what it does b y its self alone.

rowaphos to my knowlege is a type of gfo, but it works better in a reactor in a tank as large as a 180g you need to run it through a reactor.

a cheap reactor is very easy to build google "gatorade reactor" i built one and it worked great on a small tank.reactors are cheap though you could get one for $30-50
I've been looking at a BRS reactor, not a diy kinda girl as much as I try.... I think part of the cyano is new tank, the 55 did the same thing, but not as soon. I've got the afternoon off tomorrow, will pull out as much as I can. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Default Cyano update

Its all gone!! Woot! I just basted off my rocks and there's nothing. I added 3 types of macro algae, brs dual reactor running carbon and gfo, filter sock and an orange diamond goby. I manually removed what I could every couple of days. Will post updated pics when lights come on!