Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

First 12 hours of skimmate. The tank has ~190lbs of Walt Smith Fiji Ultra and Pukani. There was very little die off and some fun shapes. So now I am trying to get the Profilux up and running while the rock cures. I am running into issues with network connectivity right off the hop. Crappy.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:32 AM

Looks cramped but it's not that bad, lens makes it a little distorted haahaa!

Electrics and controls, reactors, wiring, etc. The bottom reactor rack is just temporary. There will be some organization, a drip tray, and the ozone system will be purring when I am done. Also the Tunze ATO will be replaced with the Profilux system once I have time to program it. There will be a custom ~25g ATO reservoir where the 5g pail is sitting as well.

Top Sump. I am getting a frag rack built for it and a removable grate where the old glass baffle was. The heater will be moved to a cleaner location as well. I installed a GF check valve on the bottom sump return (locline) so that I didn't siphon out the top sump if the lower pump shuts off. There is also a float valve that will tell the profilux if the top sump isn't draining to the lower sump for some reason (snail in the herbie, etc.). The profilux in turn will shut off the lower sump return pump and send out and alarm.

Bottom Sump. The ATO wiring is a mess but will cleaned up next time I get back from work. A gate valve is on order to convert the overflow to a herbie to get the noise and bubbles down. I am still waiting for the Abyzz pump for the lower sump but installed an old quite ones just to get the system flowing. Damn it's a loud pump. The left chamber still may be a refugium, but I am also thinking it will make a great water change chamber as well. I haven't decided yet. Small ~5-10g water changes every week sound good to me.

Close up on the pump controllers. So far I have nothing but praise for the Abyzz A200. It's SILENT. It's a powerhouse. The controller is simple but has a lot of options. So far so good. The RD3 Speedy is doing its thing as well, making lots of bubbles and skimmate.

Just another view. You can see the VorTech module, Profilux Touch module, humidity/temp probe hanging between the profilux and doser. I am going to put another shelf right about where the touch screen is so I can set the dosing liquids right under the doser. The touch screen will get relocated to the display side of the tank, on the upper right bulkhead.

Regrets so far are not enough regular receptacles. Some things don't need to plug into a profilux, like the Mitras, VorTech's. That's 7 plugs right there. I may add another gang box by the lights/vortechs just to feed them on their own. Free up the profilux sockets.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Looks rad and I love the cable tracks. I wish I had gotten some for my tank room as there is just no way to make loose cables look tidy on their own!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 PM

I am sure I will take it apart again and re-do the cords at some point, but I am content for now. The tracks are called Panduit if you need some. I bought mine from Eccol Electric. There are all kinds of sizes, but I ended up getting 2"x2".
Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 AM

This is a little off topic put pretty darn cool. I saw some art of animals on dictionary pages a little while back and thought it was awesome. I contacted the artist, Luca Grant and asked him to create some for our basement development. We asked him for a Golden Rhomboid Wrasse, Satanic Leaf-tail Gecko, Zebra Plecostomous, and an Australian Frilled-neck lizard. We just received them and couldn't be happier! You can check out his site here.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 AM

The artists name is Lucas Grant, not Luca…. I wish the post editing time was longer.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Is the collection cup on that skimmer tapped so skimmate does not run into the tank in the event of an overflow? It appears to be, just see some brown on the outside of the skimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
First 12 hours of skimmate. The tank has ~190lbs of Walt Smith Fiji Ultra and Pukani. There was very little die off and some fun shapes. So now I am trying to get the Profilux up and running while the rock cures. I am running into issues with network connectivity right off the hop. Crappy.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:08 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
This is a little off topic put pretty darn cool. I saw some art of animals on dictionary pages a little while back and thought it was awesome. I contacted the artist, Luca Grant and asked him to create some for our basement development. We asked him for a Golden Rhomboid Wrasse, Satanic Leaf-tail Gecko, Zebra Plecostomous, and an Australian Frilled-neck lizard. We just received them and couldn't be happier! You can check out his site here.

LOVE those!!! I've been collecting art for years and the concept is so Victorian-era etnobotany.

Last edited by SanguinesDream; 11-21-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:28 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

WOW man that tank setup is retarded. looks very well put together
Old 11-22-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags View Post
Is the collection cup on that skimmer tapped so skimmate does not run into the tank in the event of an overflow? It appears to be, just see some brown on the outside of the skimmer.
Hey Dave,

Nope nothing is taped. The skim mate chamber had filled quickly, forcing some of the skimmate out of the breather holes on the top of the collection cup lid. That's where the brown gunk came from. I will connect the cup drain to a skimmate locker once I get the system purring, and I'd love to put on a neck cleaner, but that's down the road as well.

Should I be taping something? I am not familiar with that technique if I should be

Tags
abyzz, bubble king dc 250, mitras, profilux 3, reef