Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM

MikeAshworth is on a distinguished road
Default 90 Gallon Setup - Vortech or Tunze?

Hello everyone!

Please bear with me as this is my first post
I'm new to CanReef and the reefing hobby itself, and am in the process of planning to build my first setup - a 90gallon mixed reef setup (48Lx18Wx24H).

I am currently awaiting the arrival of my new 90Gallon custom rimless tank (can't wait) and am trying to figure out what powerheads to use for flow. My tank is pre drilled for the overflow which is located directly in the middle of the tank (thinking of doing a wall aqauscape to cover most of the overflow).

Originally i was planning on doing a CLS + powerhead combo but then reconsidered and decided to keep it simple and just stick with powerheads. I'm down to choosing either the Vortech Mp40wes(either x1 or x2) or the Tunze Turbelle® nanostream® 6095 (x2 or x3) + controller. I would rather dish out the dough for quality powerheads rather than buy mediocre ones and wish to upgrade two months later..

In order to save money i would like to get things right the first time around, so please help me out!

I like the whole idea of the Mp40's - wireless, amazing overall flow, small footprint/low profile (goes nicely with my rimless tank). In addition, the tank for the time being will be in the basement (as my parents didn't want to reinforce the main floor level) so noise isn't THAT much of an issue. However, when the time comes to move the tank into my own home, i would definitely want the tank in the living room, so noise could be an issue then.. just crossing my fingers and hoping that by the time i have my own place, there will be a new model out in which ecotech will address the noise issues on their products.

On the other hand, I've read that the Tunze powerheads are just solid pieces of equipment. They are reliable, and get the job done. I know that the tunze powerheads give more of a laminar flow, which is why I'm considering buying more than two powerheads to create more of a random flow pattern (along with the controller).

(I would also like to know what would work best in terms of placement of each of these powerheads)

I am well aware that they're multiple threads of this comparison (between vortech and Tunze) however i couldn't find any out there specifically on which perform better on a 90 gallon setup. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Can Reef and Hope you will be sharing your build over time!
You may also want to consider wp40 and wp25s. It is a blending of the tunze and mp40 but at fraction of the cost. For the price of one mp40 you can get four wp25 or wp40s to run your tank an more! There are several threads on the wp40 and wp25 pumps right now for you to review. Good luck on your build!
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
Welcome to Can Reef and Hope you will be sharing your build over time!
You may also want to consider wp40 and wp25s. It is a blending of the tunze and mp40 but at fraction of the cost. For the price of one mp40 you can get four wp25 or wp40s to run your tank an more! There are several threads on the wp40 and wp25 pumps right now for you to review. Good luck on your build!
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply! I will definitely be posting my build as soon as i have everything up and running. As of right now, i'm still in the learning stage... I will make sure to read up on those pumps later tonight, thanks a lot Rice Reef.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Yes I like the sounds of the Jebao WP40 as well, but where can you get them in Canada?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
Yes I like the sounds of the Jebao WP40 as well, but where can you get them in Canada?
http://www.reefsupplycanada.com/wp40-wavemaker/
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Acrowhora is on a distinguished road

Jebao is a great alternative to vortech and tunze for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

I just completed my own research comparing MP10 to Tunze 6055 and what would work best for my tank and existing equipment. I decided to order the Tunze, because it is a premium product, and because I am able to set the direction of the pump, and in my case I would like to attach the pump to the rear overflow wall in my tank which wasn't an option with a Vortech. Going to use my Apex VDM module which I purchased for my new LED lights, so it will be a nice combo!

Go with Tunze and you have a good excuse to order yourself an Apex?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I checked out the jebao pumps and am not completely sold on them. If I don't side with the mp40's I will be going with Tunze.. However I would like the minimize the amount of powerheads in my tank and I think going with the vortech is my best choice. I also like the fact that they are completely wireless. Is it possible to still have a "clean" looking tank if i were to go with the Tunze?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

They both have pro's and cons BUT they are both fantastic brands with, more importantly, GREAT warranty and customer service.

Here is my take as a hobbiest…

Vortech

Pros

- No motors in the water (no heat, no electricity)
- Mp40 is a monster at full power. We were getting a nice wave with 1 in a 90G
- Super small foot-print

Cons

- Wet side needs bi weekly / monthly cleaning
- Tends to get noisy if you don't keep it clean
- Wet-side wares out but parts are cheap.

Tunze

Pros

- Set it and forget it. They'll run in mud lol
- New wide flow (6105 and 6095) have a great flow pattern.

Cons

- Larger footprint than the Vortech
- Heat and electricity in the water
- You need the better USB controller or an aquarium controller to take full advantage of it. The base $79 controller is lacking (but its only $79)

Ferrari or Lambo? You will be happy with what ever choice you make.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I often wonder if the sounds of the MP40s running dont just drive the fish nuts! Stick your ear up to the tank!

I've used both the MO40s and the tunzes. Stuck with the mp's because of the lesser heat issue.. But the tunzes are fool proof!

Tags
90gallon, mp40w es, powerheads, tunze, vortech