Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Gp Scott is on a distinguished road
Default Scott's 135 gallon display tank build

So this is how it started. I used to have a 250 gallon fresh water tank and when we moved onto our acreage the wife said the tank was not moving into the new house because it takes up too much room. So I said that's fine I will get a smaller saltwater tank instead and she was fine with that. Well that was 5 years ago just been busy with life. So I finally decided I wanted my tank built into a wall right beside the couch were I sit and that's the closet at our front door.

And the wife was ok with it so I started calling around to get estimates on tank and sump with almost complete start up package. I ended up talking to Denny at concept aquariums in Calgary and he was giving me prices right over the phone on different packages. I was in Calgary so I stopped in to see Denny and purchase the tank and of course upgrades
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 PM

So after some research I needed a ro-di unit and during this my wife found out that the aquarium was getting a ro unit and she said not before her. So I had to find one to do both so I ordered the vertex 100 gpd from j&l aquatics not even certain if it could do both.

So during the install I had to figure out how to run the water line from the basement to the kitchen tap in a completely finished basement. So I run the line thru my furnace duct work to mech room to a big 9 gallon pressure tank and to the vertex
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM

For the vertex to do both all I had to do is put in some check valves and valves to reroute the lines a bit. I also put on a tds meter to see what was coming in which is over 1000 ppm and the ro drops it to 9 ppm for drinking water.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM

So before I cut open my wall I wanted the tank to be here. I had it shipped from Calgary to grande prairie. And this is the stuff I purchased 1 tank 45"-23"-30" sump was made to go under tank in the closet if I wanted it there but I chose to put it in my basement in mech room. The sump is 39"-19"-15" made to have two filter socks and ato compartment. I also had them do some of the pluming.
1 pale h2o ocean
1 tunze 3155 auto top off
1 apex Neptune with lab grade
1 bubble magus curve 7
2 eheim fully submersible 200w heaters
1 mag 2400 pump
2 wp 40 jebao wave makers
2 ecotech radion xr30w led lights

Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 PM

So I cut the hole in the wall and of course I had to reroute some wiring.

I had my kids prep the rest from there.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 PM

Any comments or questions just ask I'm farther into the build so I'm trying to remember back to all the things I've done. I'm normally not a forum guy I like to read them just not post. But with this being my first build I might need some help.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 PM

patman is on a distinguished road

Looks great. Denny and I are going to start talking about my build tomorrow. Looks similar, but I'm going with a cube (I think). Where are you going to put the sump? Doesn't look like there is enough room below for the skimmer? unless your kid is a giant
Old 07-28-2014, 11:42 PM

So when I wanted my tank in the wall I wanted it to be flush with the drywall and no trim so the only gap I left was enough to get a trowel thru on the top.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:46 PM

matt_C is on a distinguished road

Set up is looking good!
Looking forward to see it full of water!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 AM

Before I finished with mud ,tape , paint I wanted to fill with water so I had to start pluming. I cut a hole in my floor below the tank to run the pluming thru the floor to mech room. I purchased flex PVC to do the job.