Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Hamilton

If you want to buy a Swiss-made automatic, but don't want to spend your kid's inheritance, look at a Hamilton. They are serious watches, at reasonable prices. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE1gGoTC5lo

I have a Khaki Navy (not the GMT), and I love it!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I've actually been curious about the Automatics and Solar Powered watches. Both very interesting features that I never considered before. After reading watch forums (OMG I'm on watch forums now!), I read that the automatics can be more maintenance in that the oils can tend to dry out? Also there is the danger of over wearing out the auto-winder? I have absolutely no experience with them so I don't know how they are in reality.

The Citizen solar powered watches are interesting, but after reading a bit I did read some posts echoing a knee-jerk concern I would have and that is the constant charge-discharge cycling of the rechargeable battery. I know from electronics that rechargeable batteries have a life expectancy. I don't know how often or easy it is to replace the batteries in those suckers.

A friend suggested an Omega Seamaster Pro in a 36mm casing that seems like it suits my needs. Simple 3 hands, date and rotating bezel and built to last (I think). I have never put one on my wrist though so I may have to try one out to see how it feels.

I do have a Mickey Mouse watch actually :-) That battery has been dead for a number of years though. I should put a new battery in it.

Steve, you must have auto-winders for all your automatics? Aren't you concerned about prematurely wearing them out ? Or maybe you don't use auto-winders.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I've got a citizen solar powered watch and love it. The claim is 11 hours of sunlight provides enough juice for 6 months. No idea how true that is, I don't go out of my way to expose it to sunlight and never had a problem all winter. Only had it a year so I can't speak to its longevity though. My understanding is that battery replacement should be done via sending it in so they can re-waterproof the watch.

When I was researching, what swayed me to the citizen brand was primarily price point. An automatic would be nice, but out of my league at the moment. I had the same battery concerns as you, but from doing a lot of reading I got the impression that the batteries lasted quite a while. The big advantage to solar seems to be they are a little more durable than automatics (no shock sensitivity), and that not having to change the battery all the time means the waterproof seals stay intact for much longer.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
That almost made my list until I saw the list price Very cool watch.
I have been saving my pennies
Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Costco has a good selection of watches at various levels of quality and price. Plus if there is ever a problem or you don't like it after awhile they just give you your money back. I have a few nice watches but after my Timex Expedition of 20 years died I just don't seem to like wearing them anymore, or any type of jewelry for that matter. The only one I wear occasionally when we go out some place nice is my Mickey Mouse watch, I tell the wife it's okay because it gold with a brown strap so it looks expensive!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Steve, you must have auto-winders for all your automatics? Aren't you concerned about prematurely wearing them out ? Or maybe you don't use auto-winders.
Nah I just wind and set when I put them on, it's a pretty simple task so I don't see the need for such a gimmick. Some will last a few days without being worn so if it's the only watch you wear you won't need to ever wind it but there are others that may not last the night. I've never had problems or preformed such said maintenance but I'm not on a watch forum so probably don't have to
Old 07-29-2014, 01:11 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I had an automatic wind divers watch in the 60's. Loved it, never overwound, wore it every day as well as diving once a week in the summer. Finally quit after about 20 yrs.
Have a seiko auto winder now for about 5 yrs runs perfect.Wear it every day, never overwound. Snorkel with it but never dove.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:21 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I could never suggest just one. Just remember even if it's an auto it still needs to be manually wound before you wear it next if it dies. If you do buy on line pay very close attention to case size. Sometimes pics can fool your eye. 40-42mm and no more than about 13-14mm thick is my comfort zone

http://www.bernardwatch.com

I have bought from Bernard. If you ask on the forums I'm sure they would be highly recommended.

Want vintage check out these guys. They are in Canada so no issues with customs $$ crossing the border.

http://www.yorktime.com

http://www.derekdier.com

Derek Dier will get mixed reviews on forums
Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
..my Mickey Mouse watch, I tell the wife it's okay because it gold with a brown strap so it looks expensive!
I think we have the same Mickey Mouse watch !
Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 AM

In my continued research I've found that automatics are not all that expensive. An automatic Seiko 5 can be had for a couple of hundred bucks from what Iv'e seen. Also, I'm very interested in these eco-drives now. There's a massive selection, holy crap. Will have to comb through them all to see if I find one that fits my bill. Thanks for that suggestion on the Citizen, guys!