Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Uber Rare Triggers (advice).....

I've recently had the good fortune to come across the opportunity to source a Gold/Goldenback Trigger (Xanthichthys caeruleolineatus)

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/06/04/g...k-triggerfish/

AND.....

a 5”-6” Line Spot/Striped Triggerfish (Xanthichthys lineopunctatus)

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/11/20/l...t-triggerfish/ - Statistically, this may be the ”2nd in North America”; however I think some go unnoticed (my opinion).

I'm still kicking myself for passing on a beautiful 5” Kiri/Greenei (Xanthichthys greenei) Trigger last year.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/09/17/x...d-triggerfish/

On the off chance; I am inquiring to see if others have had any experience with the Gold/Golden Back Trigger (Xanthichthys caeruleolineatus) or the Line Spot/Striped Triggerfish (Xanthichthys lineopunctatus) - Some one CanReef may have purchased the ”Original” 1st one that landed in North America.

Some of the people that I have discussed (and have owned) the Golden Back with were kind of unimpressed by it. They liked it; but it didn't ”blow their mind”. However it was very easy to care for.

I am very much sitting on the fence. My initial display is not complete yet and I am already contemplating a special display for these specimens. Golden Back is/will get huge and I may be out bid on the Lineopunctatus. The pricing is not cheap but what I consider very reasonable on both (subjective). A CrossHatch was the next on my list (Xanthichthys mento) next to the Greenei. Now....I am reconsidering.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I have experience with a Goldenback from many years ago. All it did was race back and forth along an 8' panel splashing water with its dorsal all over the place. Frankly, it made a previously serene display look hectic. Then it jumped. Best $1200+ ever -_____-

Then again, this is more or less my ongoing view of Xanthichthys triggers nowadays. Had an 8" Crosshatch that did much of the same. Boy was I happy to pocket the $500 when he went.

It really doesn't help that these triggers have more or less 1/10th the personality of any other triggerfish out there...
Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 AM

I received similar feedback from others regarding the Goldenback. Thanks for your input.

I love my Sargassums and Bluethroats that I've had. I'm still on the fence regarding the Lineopunctatus. I think it may have similar personalities to the Sargassum and Bluethroat.

Crosshatch....is still on my list.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 AM

monza is on a distinguished road

Ive had a cross hatch beautiful fish but generally it was a bit boring. Which can be good? He would randomly just nip at any corals once and a while, soft and hard , I think just so see if they tasted any better then last time he tried.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

A client of mine has a Goldenback Triggerfish that is about 11-12" total length. It is in a 10' reef and it uses the whole tank. He is very curious and will eat out of my hand, although he hides when I do the tank maintenance. He totally dominates the water column at feeding time and steals all the nori. This one does have a lot of personality - he's pretty cool.

PS - I would love to see some pics of any rare fish you already have.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 06-26-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice. My apologies for not responding sooner. I've been traveling.

I don't have many "rare" fish per se. Some of you may have already seen pics of my Borbonius Anthias and Sargassum Trigger. I recently managed to find a nice Golden Dwarf Moray Eel though.

The Kiri/Greenei Trigger I passed on last year.....still think about it. lol It's "the one that got away" ......
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM

Default Scratching the "Itch".....

Stay tuned.....I'm working on something to satisfy this itch. I'll either be elated or fall flat on my face. Regardless of outcome.....I'll update this thread. E.T.A. = 2 weeks.....
Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Thumbs up The one that (almost) got away.....

I promised an update whether I succeed or fail. Currently on its way from some of the deeper waters surrounding Christmas Island, via Hawaii is a.....

A Greenei/Kiri Trigger (Xanthichthys greenei)

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/09/17/x...d-triggerfish/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3964694/

The Greenei Trigger has been on my mind since I saw my very first one in person about a year ago at a LFS. At that time; it was the most likely the 1st one in Canada and I haven't heard of one or come across one since. A fellow reefer and hobbyist was at the store at the same time and we struggled over the purchase. He was interested as well. He went in a different direction and purchased a Male Crosshatch. I was lacking $$$ at the time. lol It was the "the one that got away".

I was fortunate to recently come across a diver who has a plethora of knowledge from diving the waters of Hawaii to Christmas Island to Marshall Islands its surrounding Atolls and Australia.

He's cared for it and observed it for several weeks prior to shipping it to me. Now....the wait to see if it lands safely and healthy later this evening. I'll keep everyone posted - regardless if I succeed or fall flat on my face.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Congrats! You're very brave posting this before it lands! Good luck.

If you're ever looking for rare fish in the future that you can't locate, let me know. I know someone who has a knack for locating and landing rarities.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:13 PM

"Brave".....or "Stupid"

Eh.....Hobbyists can share their triumphs and rough patches with each other. It's part of the hobby. It's life.

Thanks for the kind offer. I may take you up on that one day.

Cheers.

Tags
caeruleolineatus, gold back, greenei, lineopunctatus, linespot