Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo
Default Does Instant Ocean have a new formula?

I just began using a new bucket of Instant Ocean with the new label. I had heard rumor somewhere that they were changing their formula for increased calcium and magnesium so I tested the newly mixed up saltwater to see.

At a salinity of 1.024 that had been mixing for 5 hours with RO/DI water and a powerhead I measured the Calcium to be 400 with a salifert kit, Alkalinity was 11.5dkh with elos and Magnesium was 1275ppm with elos as well.

In the past I've tested the 'old' Instant Ocean with 'old' test kits and at Salinity 1.025 I received Ca 340 with salifert, Alk 12dkh with elos and Mg 1200 with elos.

It seems like they may have increased their levels but then again there is a lot of room for error with how I mixed and tested. Has anyone else tried this?

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Have found each pail varies a bit but always on the low side, Ca 275-325 and Mg 900-1100 ppm (Alk steady around 11 dKH). Been probably a year though since I last stocked up on salt.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Slightly off topic. I just bought my first bucket of IO as I have been using the smaller bags until now. Is it necessary to roll the bucket or otherwise mix the salt up before first use? I.E - does the bucket "settle out" if it has been sitting at the LFS for an extended period of time?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

I never have.

I'll usually test the pail when I first open it (and mark on the lid the Ca/Mg so I know how much to supplement) then midway through and it always seems the same.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Slightly off topic. I just bought my first bucket of IO as I have been using the smaller bags until now. Is it necessary to roll the bucket or otherwise mix the salt up before first use? I.E - does the bucket "settle out" if it has been sitting at the LFS for an extended period of time?
it wouldn't hurt.. all salts will settle if they are joccled around as there are different weights of particles.. this is also why people get different readings from the same salt.

I used to mix mine befor using it all the time.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Yep, saw two different pails at one LFS in Vernon last week. I think the new formula is called IO reef crystals and is indeed designed to provide better levels of mag, calcium etc for reef tanks. Costs substantially more too.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Yep, saw two different pails at one LFS in Vernon last week. I think the new formula is called IO reef crystals and is indeed designed to provide better levels of mag, calcium etc for reef tanks. Costs substantially more too.
Reef Crystals has been around for a while. Is the OP simply referring to Reef Crystals or a whole new formulation for plain old IO?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

There is no information on the IO website about new formula or new product but it can be seen new purple branding.

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/in...d=1294&cid=964
Old 07-13-2009, 05:43 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I was only refering to regular Instant Ocean (not Reef Crystals) in the first post. I just thought that with the new branding that maybe they changed something about the product. I had checked their website too and saw nothing. I even did a Reef Central search but all I found was one thread that was a few months old with someone asking the same question as me.

Oh well I guess I'll just carry on supplementing like before.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I may have gotten the nomenclature wrong but it was something along the 'reef' line and the bucket had a different colour as mentioned above. There were two pails stacked on top of each other, unmistakeably IO and the 'new' one had the additional information on it regarding being more suitable for reef tanks with the elevated ca, mag levels.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-13-2009 at 03:24 PM.