Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 AM

2bafish is on a distinguished road
Default Actinics and algae

About a month ago I changed my bulb layout in my fixtures. I used to have 2 power glo and 2 actinics. I changed them to 3 actinics and one purple/white bulb. I like the look of it but I notice an increase in algae. Especially hair algae and some green on my sand. My phosphates an nitrates seem fine but could it be the lights?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I replied earlier but gather I forgot to submit it
It's possible that your old lights were worn out and the new ones are fueling the algae.
Just in case, double check your PO4 and NO3. Any Phosphates can contribute and any Nitrates above 5-10/10-20 can be an issue, depending on the individual tank.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM

2bafish is on a distinguished road

Yes checked them again. Fine. Maybe the algae is using up the nitrates and that's why it's reading fine. I reduced my light schedule to 9 hours and shut of my moonlights at night. Maybe it helps. Also got a sea hare
Old 03-14-2012, 03:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Well the purple bulb probably has red in it which tends to spike things up a little but blue also plays a large role in plant growth, plants mostly only use blue and red spectrum so increasing either of these can result in more algae growth.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:08 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

possible but not likely.....IME

time to check RO/DI unit, up with water changes, feed a little less, clean the skimmer and pump, and perhaps run some carbon. algae is usually a function of water quality and less about lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bafish View Post
About a month ago I changed my bulb layout in my fixtures. I used to have 2 power glo and 2 actinics. I changed them to 3 actinics and one purple/white bulb. I like the look of it but I notice an increase in algae. Especially hair algae and some green on my sand. My phosphates an nitrates seem fine but could it be the lights?