Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

hey shrimpchips, nice light. as you will notice once i put up my build thread, i am also doing a 36x30x24.
now i saw that you were posting on RC about the difference in the sfiligoi and ATI 8 bulb light, and that your friend is getting/got a 8 bulb ATI and that you would compare them PAR wise and report back.
do you think you could also post the differences in par here too?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Your plans look great. Nice light fixture by the way
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
hey shrimpchips, nice light. as you will notice once i put up my build thread, i am also doing a 36x30x24.
now i saw that you were posting on RC about the difference in the sfiligoi and ATI 8 bulb light, and that your friend is getting/got a 8 bulb ATI and that you would compare them PAR wise and report back.
do you think you could also post the differences in par here too?
Nice - it's a great tank size. Actually that same friend has a 36 x 36 (I think) x 24 already set up.

Yeah, I'll be setting that up sometime on a future weekend when we can get together. I'll post the numbers here too
Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Nice - it's a great tank size. Actually that same friend has a 36 x 36 (I think) x 24 already set up.

Yeah, I'll be setting that up sometime on a future weekend when we can get together. I'll post the numbers here too
it is indeed an awesome size. we have one at the store i work at and i just love the size.
any details on the tank finishings? (polished glass, braced vs. non braced, background color, ect)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Tank will be rimless ("trimless" if you will for you nitpicky folks) with beveled edges throughout, and most likely a black background, although I've been seeing some deep blue back grounds (almost black, but not quite) so I may try that out. One thing is that the back won't be drilled (bottom drilled) so I may be able to switch out backgrounds if I want.

Standard glass throughout - a lot of the other items on this build are pretty ballin' but I can't justify to myself the extra cost, especially since the difference once you're pumping so much blue light throughout the tank is visually imperceptable (to myself at least, and that's all that really matters ).

The stand will be like d2mini's stand. I'm currently enamoured with it. Very simple and elegant. It will be stained black to match the coffee table and book case next to where the tank will be. The side panels will be hung magnetically, and the front will be on hinges. The back will be immovable (as it'll be against the wall ).

I'll be hanging the pendant, either from the ceiling or from hangars attached to the wall - more likely the latter at there's the oven vent ducting going right over where the tank is, so I don't think I'll be able to anchor into the ceiling there. eventually I'd like to install a DIY light winch to raise and lower the fixture via remote, but that's a project I'll save for another day.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Got myself another MP-40w, and picked up 95% of my plumbing. I forgot one adapter (well, got it in grey, not white) and I also stupidly forgot that I needed a 1/2" hose barb for the TLF Phosban reactors.

Back I go to the plumbing store.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

But at least you are making progress.. I can't wait to see more pix of your progress on setting this up.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Tagging along... this is exactly what I am planning... definetly still in my head... going around and around
My.... Ultimate dream tank!....can't wait to see your progress. PM coming your way soon....
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Wow! Looks like you're going to have a very nice system
Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 AM

DCDN is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to see it