Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

IMO Lenovo or dell
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
IMO if you go Lenovo strip out all of the Lenovo tools they do nothing but cause issues

J
Ya, they do come with a lot of utilities. We build our own images without most of them, and the performance is much better.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Im amazed nobody else has recommended mac lol. Am I the only one using one?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

I have had to use DELL for work for the past 10 years and with my various experiences with 4 different DELL laptops I would NOT buy a DELL for my own personal use and would not recommend their brand.

Greg
Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Define general home use.
web surfing, streaming video, maybe alittle photo/video editing. I did play around with lightwave 3d at one time and would like to get back to tinkering with that. Rendering without horsepower sure doesnt make it fun. I have an lg smart tv but its horribly slow when it comes to doing just about anything. If i want to surf on the big screen I just hook up my tower computer. I thought about going the tablet route or even a surface, but i cant see it being comfortable sitting on your lap with your feet up (which is where I spend most of my time on the laptop) Another thing that had me scratching my head were all these 13" screen sizes. It seems to be the new standard. When I bought this laptop I only had to choose from 15 or 17 from what i remember.

Thanks for the ideas! Still leaning towards asus. Ill have to take a look at costcos lineup, its been awhile since i was there.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 02-08-2014, 01:27 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

If you are looking to display on a smart TV might want to see if laptop supports WiDi. Mine doesn't (not enabled although processor shown) but looks like could be interesting.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Define general home use. I've been looking for a new notebook for a while myself, the old Compaq is really getting long in the tooth & can't handle the latest version of Google Earth! Not sure what's up with most manufacturers still producing notebooks with spinning hard drives. Should all be SSDs by now IMO & that's why I'm still holding out. I've been keeping my eye on the latest generation of smart TV's. I don't run too many RAM intensive apps any longer & mostly spend my computer time on the web. The latest smart TVs have dual core & better processors. If most of what you're doing is web based, forget the notebook & splurge on a new smart TV! Why fart around with a tiny screen when you can surf on something with a huge one, unless you really need a notebook for portability. But nowadays seems like tablets are all the rage for portability. Or big honkin' smart phones even.
Most are still platter drives because the bulk of people don't care as much about load times and care more about how many pictures and movies can I save on the hard drive. At $1/GB for SSD vs $.10/GB for platter drives, for most manufacturers on a $1000 system, it's by far the better business decision to stick with a bigger slower drive.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 PM

jordsyke is on a distinguished road

ASUS!