Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

I think I will be going this route instead, even with there controller for sunrise/sunset its still under $350. I can always get Apex Jr later on for more control anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrias View Post
Based on your cost I recommend:

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Biocube-2...trofit-kit.htm

I bought StevesLEDs for my 30 Gallon setup and they are top notch quality .

This package will give you an option to do it all from scratch yourself - if you are up to the work or pay $80 extra and have all the hard work done for you. I built my own from scratch and if I wouldn't do it again - was just a pain in my ass haha. Depends on how much work you are willing to do...

This system doesn't require a controller - comes with potentiometer for adjustments which is all I use.

However if you want your controller for doing ATO stuff then I don't have much of a recommendation as I have't tried one yet. I basically went the the highest quality LED route while trying to save as much money as possible so I haven't done ATO.

Something for a controller - if I was to buy one - I'd get Reef Angel: http://www.reefangel.com/order.aspx

I like it because I am a computer guy and can program it to do whatever I want and it's expandable to do anything you want. So you can start cheap and eventually expand it to be expensive / extensive.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Antrias is on a distinguished road

Good to hear I was of some help!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:58 PM

Ok well I have been kinda lazy about this whole lighting situation but I am long overdue for a bulb change and the algae is loving it! So I went to order the Steves LED's but it was $85 for shipping which I think is way to much anyone know what the rapid leds are to ship?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I bought my DIY LEDs from rapidled shipped to Edmonton and it wasn't too bad. This was a few years ago though.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

There are plenty of options out there these days, including simple PAR38 LED bulbs that will fit into a normal lighting socket.

Don't have a controller. Keeping it fairly simple, I chose to use 10 watt multichip LEDs with standard 12 Volt DC power supplies & dimmers for my build. Most of the components are from online auction site. Free shipping, takes a while but no brokerage or customs fees so far. Aluminum stock sourced locally. Been running fine for almost 2 years. I'm in the process of modifying it slightly, with different heat sinks & building a proper cover. Link to build is below.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:06 AM

I just sent them an email for a quote to Rapid with a few more questions
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 PM

That is a fantastic build Mike, to design and buid my own at this time in my life is just way too much effort. I am definatly going that route for my next big tank when the actual cost savings would justify it.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 PM

Just ordered from Rapid Led the shipping was $40usd which was where I thought should have been. I will have pictures up as soon as its all assembled and running!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Polscot is on a distinguished road

i bought a LED kit from rapid, 2 kits actually abut 4 years ago b4 you could get these new fangled awesome retro fit kits for the biocube lol, i paid prolly around 500 for both mine, but looking at their prices now you could always consider getting a kessil and going rimless, I've been debating on it for a while