Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Calgarynewtankguy is on a distinguished road
Default Bad experience at Big Al's

I just wanted to share an experience I have had with Big Al's. I had been in big Al's before because I frequent the hobby shop next door and became mesmerized by the salt water set ups. i began a few week of research and price checking and talked to the staff there. I decided to order the 150gal extra high tank (48x24x31) which I wAs told would take no more than 2 weeks to arrive. So I have my stand all built to that tank, all kinds of equipment sitting in the living room ready to install and excited. All to be told today (3 weeks late)r - no tank and no idea when it will get here and pretty much they don't care how ready I was for it. The only thing the general manager seemed concerned about was the fact that I didn't put a deposit on said tank (thank god). So now I am sitting on a stand, sump, and a whole pile of stuff and no tank! . Just thought I should share......

If any one knows a good place to get a tank built in Calgary I am looking

Thanks
33 gal sump/refugium
Sun System Tek-light T5 6 bulb
Mag18 return pump
RLSS R8i skimmer
Neptune Apex controller
BRS combe reactor (carbon GFO)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

http://www.conceptaquatics.ca/index.php/
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Go around to corner of Bigs Als and talk to Dave at Concept Aquatics, they build tanks there and you might even find Denny who loves helping people out and is full of advise (if you can take it )

Think about talking to them about the dimensions, your tank sounds a bit tall, you may regret it later.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Concept for sure!! I agree on the height of the tank. Mine's 24 tall and hard to work in. I think 31 wide would be awesome though!!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarynewtankguy View Post
I just wanted to share an experience I have had with Big Al's. I had been in big Al's before because I frequent the hobby shop next door and became mesmerized by the salt water set ups. i began a few week of research and price checking and talked to the staff there. I decided to order the 150gal extra high tank (48x24x31) which I wAs told would take no more than 2 weeks to arrive. So I have my stand all built to that tank, all kinds of equipment sitting in the living room ready to install and excited. All to be told today (3 weeks late)r - no tank and no idea when it will get here and pretty much they don't care how ready I was for it. The only thing the general manager seemed concerned about was the fact that I didn't put a deposit on said tank (thank god). So now I am sitting on a stand, sump, and a whole pile of stuff and no tank! . Just thought I should share......

If any one knows a good place to get a tank built in Calgary I am looking

Thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong from reading your post.

You wanted them to special order you a tank without putting any deposit?
You obviously don't know how businesses run. Nobody would bring in an odd size tank for any customer unless they knew the customer would buy it for sure. The only way for this to happen is a deposit must be placed in case the customer backs out and the lfs is stuck with a tank that not many people want.
I'm sure if you had put a large deposit or even prepaid the tank, it would be sitting on your stand now, full of water.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:39 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Hey, like others mentioned drop on over and see us here at concept aquatics right behind bigals. Either call the shop or my cell at 403-554-2196(Denny) we can have you a custom built tank made long before big als will

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 AM

Calgarynewtankguy is on a distinguished road

To clarify, it is a standard sized tank from marineland. 48 long 24 wide and 31 deep. With a corner overflow. I offered to pay for the tank at time of order and was told "no problem on the next truck, no need to put a deposit". I am more annoyed at how I was treated when I called to ask about picking it up. I will be at concepts tomorrow. I have to come into Calgary any way.
33 gal sump/refugium
Sun System Tek-light T5 6 bulb
Mag18 return pump
RLSS R8i skimmer
Neptune Apex controller
BRS combe reactor (carbon GFO)
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 AM

molotov is on a distinguished road

Dave and Denny will set you down the right track. Deep tanks will pose a problem depending on what you want to keep. If you want a fish only tank then that size is fine. If you want to start introducing corals then you will have a big problem as far as lighting goes. And trust me.....lighting ain't cheap my friend.

Anyways if you make it to Concept your in good hands!!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
If you want to start introducing corals then you will have a big problem as far as lighting goes.
My tank is 29" deep and no problems. SPS pretty much right at the bottom.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 AM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

Dave builds wonderful tanks, and you cannot get a better price in my opinion.

And as someone else said, in all fairness to Big Al's, I would not feel sorry for you over no tank showing up; the fish store should not have to take a kick in the pants if you decide you do not want a special order tank.