Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Toadstool tend to like higher flow. I had a huge one in the past that would only open if it was in direct flow. It was huge.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
i just recently started dosing for magnesium so im working on bringing it up but im not doing it fast. I never thought i would have a problem with not enough nutrients lol. i had a cyano problem until earlier in jan when i treated with chemiclean. i started using chaeto on a reverse light cycle as well as the GFO that ive been running for a while. Ive never had an issue with nitrates ever. i ran biopellets for a while and reduced things too much and ever since taking them off the tank growth has been much better, but still havent seen any sign of nitrates.

im nervous about doing it but maybe i should back off the water changes and let nitrated rise just a smidge?
Wow, that's allot of changes in a short time. It's a good idea to only change 1 thing at a time to see the effects the change made.

I always prefer a very small detectable amount of NO3/PO4.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

The biopellets came off back in April, the mag dosing started in the beginning of Dec, but I had been manually dosing a bit before that. The chaeto was put in right before Christmas to try and remedy the cyano. I was getting 0 nitrates and phos but bad cyano during the day so I tried chaeto and had been running gfo for a long time already. So the changes have been spread out. The mag has climbed 50-100ppm in the last month so it's not changing too much.

I'm with you as well and don't make too many changes too fast but something bad to be done about.the cyano and gfo and chaeto weren't doing much. Since using chemiclean I haven't had a bit of cyano return and I actually get a reading of phos even if it's a little bit. Before it wasn't reading any at all.

Something tells me id need to pull the cheato out in order for nitrates to come up as it grows pretty quick. It grew 4-5x its size in the first month.

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

What gfo are you using? Toadstools are sensitive to aluminum which some gfo has in it, I've also found mine tend to close up when the salinity gets high right before I need to top up the water
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

I use brs gfo. I use them for calc alk and mag as well. And I have an ato that tops off before any swings happen.

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 AM

nitro069 is on a distinguished road

when i put my toadstool in my tank it was almost dead from a system crash off a guy i know. he gave it to me to see if it would live. took about two weeks befor its tenticals came out and now after about 2 months it is doing awesome. from what i can see they can take alot of abuse and will survive. give it some time, let it get used to its new environment and it should be ok.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

Brs gfo is fine, I think phosguard is the most common stuff that still uses aluminum, it should do fine under any flow, I wouldn't stress about it but maybe take a turkey baster and blast it off every day and make sure it gets lots of light