Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

What happens five years down the road when the funding runs out. The tank goes south and the hospital wants it gone.

More revenue will have to be used to remove and remodel the area to make it usable again. I know there are people who take cats and dogs etc. to the kids and the best part about what these people do is take the animals home at the end of the day. The kids still get companionship from the animal and there no use of hospital grounds that could hold a bed or a MRI
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM

tgrover is on a distinguished road

We are going to keep this simple. We will simply work with the Foundation and they can tell us what would be best for the kids.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

http://www.stollerykids.com/

I don't know how many have been to the Stollery in Edmonton or are familiar with their fundraising campaigns, but in the grand scheme of things, 50k is a drop in the bucket.

Did you know that part of your donation to Stollery goes to purchase auction items for fundraisers? Did you know that they also using fundraising dollars to purchase gifts for their large corporate sponsors? This is a well-oiled marketing machine. Please take a look at all of their suggestions for fundraising. Read all of the initiatives that they consistently run.

As a donor, I'd rather know that my donation is going to a specific function (aquarium) than into a general pool used by the Foundation to solicit more money. IMHO, THAT would be a slap in the face knowing that my donation helped buy "complimentary tickets" for a sporting event for a corporate sponsor. No, I have the right to donate for a project specific cause.

Also notice the term "net proceeds". This isn't all of the money that they raised but the amount that goes to the Foundation AFTER advertising, sponsorship incentives, facility hosting, and many other superflueous expenses are paid out. Don't kid yourself. The $20 that you pledge in one of those Miracle Marathons gets eaten up for advertising costs to just bring in the big fish.

How do parents of sick kids feel about that?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned

Salt2Death is on a distinguished road

Wow.... Really never could I imagine such negativity from a group. Holy sad how negative this is going, my god if you can't say good things don't bother. It's not up for discussion on what or how- READ- its a post simply pointing out what they are trying to accomplish and it's a good goal!

My kids have spent time there and after telling them the idea of someone trying to raise funds for a huge reef tank they lit right up. "Dad all kids would love to see it, I'll bet even parents would enjoy it too!"

My goodness....

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt2Death View Post
Wow.... Really never could I imagine such negativity from a group. Holy sad how negative this is going, my god if you can't say good things don't bother. It's not up for discussion on what or how- READ- its a post simply pointing out what they are trying to accomplish and it's a good goal!

My kids have spent time there and after telling them the idea of someone trying to raise funds for a huge reef tank they lit right up. "Dad all kids would love to see it, I'll bet even parents would enjoy it too!"

My goodness....

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...
+1

The feedback about maintenance and longterm followup is fair and I'd suspect something that the fundraising team is searching for. The negativity regarding the merits of the project, not so much.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt2Death View Post
Wow.... Really never could I imagine such negativity from a group. ...
sounds to me like you have an opinion, and it's simply different than others. No negativity here, just some reality. The project will do whatever it wants, but I, just like you, am entitled to an opinion. And if he's going to post it here looking for help, it's become a public topic and everyone gets their say. Because you may not agree with my side does not make it negative. It's just fact that hospitals do not have enough equipment, supplies and staff, and throwing in a 50k fish tank is a complete waste of money. My opinion.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post

Also notice the term "net proceeds". This isn't all of the money that they raised but the amount that goes to the Foundation AFTER advertising, sponsorship incentives, facility hosting, and many other superflueous expenses are paid out. Don't kid yourself. The $20 that you pledge in one of those Miracle Marathons gets eaten up for advertising costs to just bring in the big fish.

How do parents of sick kids feel about that?
The report I read says that the Stollery foundation has an expense of $14.80 to raise $100 and 69% of all proceeds go directly into the program (some of the money goes to related charities as well). So they are doing pretty well in their management of raised dollars. People would have to be pretty nieve to think multi-million dollar charities run themselves for free.

I would hope the parents would feel greatful that people are donating and continue to do so and should be aware that fundraising is only a small percentage of were the money comes from to run the facility.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post
http://www.stollerykids.com/

I don't know how many have been to the Stollery in Edmonton or are familiar with their fundraising campaigns, but in the grand scheme of things, 50k is a drop in the bucket.

Did you know that part of your donation to Stollery goes to purchase auction items for fundraisers? Did you know that they also using fundraising dollars to purchase gifts for their large corporate sponsors? This is a well-oiled marketing machine. ?

I do this all the time. I current auctions all the time making money. I recently bought 7 kenmore central vacs all new in box for 600 dollars. I sold them for 1300. It's good money management. I'm sure if you donated 20 and they turned it into 2000 in a years time nobody would be upset

All companies give out graf. It's kind of expected. Beside anything that they buy. From hoodies to season hockey tickets is a thank you and a write off.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM

tgrover is on a distinguished road

The Stollery Foundation is a pretty impressive BUSINESS. It's run as a business and they raise a lot of money. They spend ridiculous money on marketing but it does work. They also work with donors of 'items'. You can see that by walking the halls and public rooms.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
The report I read says that the Stollery foundation has an expense of $14.80 to raise $100 and 69% of all proceeds go directly into the program (some of the money goes to related charities as well). So they are doing pretty well in their management of raised dollars. People would have to be pretty nieve to think multi-million dollar charities run themselves for free.

I would hope the parents would feel greatful that people are donating and continue to do so and should be aware that fundraising is only a small percentage of were the money comes from to run the facility.

If that 31% is true, it is actually just below CRA's review rate for high cost fundraising.

The point being that those who are arguing "there is a better use for that money" may not realize that if that $50 000 were a cash donation, $15 500 of that would never see the hospital. Whereas a project with a $50,000 budget of capital and installation costs, a larger percentage would be actualized in bricks and mortar for the hospital.

If projects are going to be scrutinized, scrutinize them equally. Is anyone examining how useful a $50,000 cash donation would be???

https://chimp.net/charities/stollery...tal-foundation

This report from 2010 shows an extremely high expense report of 80% and of that 80% of expenses, "Gifts for Qualified Donees" made up 63%.
$6, 023, 026 was spent on corporate gifts. That is outrageous!

If we were to compare the $50,000 cash donation, $31 500 would be used for corporate gifts. Think about it a little before you criticize and apply the same criterium to all projects.