Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road
Default Carpet anenome

So after much hmmmming and hawing and the lfs having a really nice healthy nem for 2 months or so now I made the purchase. I had a LTA before and my clowns didn't host it and wasn't really the look or color I want for my tank. So as my levels have been saying nice for the past two months and everything's starting to go well. I would like to know forsure what species it is, following are some pics, it's only been in the tank for 4-5 hours. Do the carpets generally like the sand or rock? It moved it self off the sand onto this rock and it's mouth is open. What do you guys think.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Stichodactyla haddoni.

It should eventually close its mouth more for you, if it's newly introduced they do sometimes hold their mouth open (makes for better respiration). Prolonged gaping can be a sign of stress but S. haddoni is perhaps one of the more resilient carpets so should be OK.

Two things to watch out for - they are very sticky, anyone who blunders into it usually ends up being a meal. The other thing is they can get kinda large. I eventually had to give mine up because it was close to 24" in diameter and it was giving a new definition to the phrase "wall to wall carpet".

Good luck! So far it looks great. It will be interesting to see how it settles in for you.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 AM

That answer is very encouraging, I did not realize this was the easiest one to keep. I'm really hoping my clowns take to it soon, if not I'll have to try to use the picture thing. I know it will move on it's own but do they prefer the sand?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 AM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

+1 to everything Delphinus said. Haddonis typically like sand and will bury themselves deep in a comfortable spot. You'll find in time; the carpet you have should colour up nicely. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 AM

Mouth looks a little bit more closed, will see what happens tommorow!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

I have a new one in my tank as well. It dug in about 6 inches from where I put it. It's half on the sand, half on the rock and hasn't moved from that spot. The foot is seemingly stuck to the bottom glass underneath.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:36 AM

Mine so far has attached it self to that rock, I would like it more on the sand, I know it won't stay there tho. It's very close to where my LTA sat tho
Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sorry I forgot about your question about the sand. In all honesty it will kinda go where it wants to anyhow but IME mine did prefer to hang out near the rock/sand interface. Actually now that I think about it, he attached to the bottom glass near a rock stand and dug the sand out of the way to do so.

If memory serves, sometimes when they are small (like <8" or thereabouts) they sometimes hang out higher up on rockwork but they eventually migrate down as they get bigger.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Mine looks to be about hand width, not going to check cuz I heard these are bad for stings and it's really sticky. After the movie lights are out. Hasn't moved but appears to be more "open". mouth looks open still will update in the morning
Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

As long as it hasn't turned itself inside out, which sometimes they look like they are ready to do, it is fine. They wander until they find the best spot for them, it may take a few days to pick a spot but once settled in it should stay put until something changes.

Mine is on the rock/sand transition facing up into one of my MH lights.

You more than likely won't get your clown fish to use it as a host, there are actually very few that will use a Haddon's carpet. I tried Ocellaris, Pink Skunks and finally an Allardi's clown which did end up using the Haddon's. The only ones that will use the Haddon's in the wild are clowns from the Clarkii complex and even then it's not a sure thing. You're better off getting a BTA since that is the closest thing to a "universal" host if you have hopes of getting your clowns to live in a nem.