Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-31-2010, 06:18 AM

eternitybc is on a distinguished road
Default Help choosing lighting for 55g corner tank

We are about 3 months into the build of a 55g corner reef tank but have yet to figure out what do with our lighting. When we bought the tank it had 6 DIY 24w T5 lights (Terra Grow?) that don't really fit and don't support reflectors. I’m not sure if I should just get rid of these all together or supplement them.

Alternatively I was thinking of maybe getting two 150 MH and positioning one on each side (14L x 14W would be the max size pendent that could fit). I can't really put one higher watt in the middle as there is a plastic brace for the tank there.

We were hoping to keep mostly soft corals and some LPS, but would like to keep our options open down the road.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I would probably see if the corals you want to keep can do well under your present lighting. If not, then look at upgrading to small pendants or reflectors with 150w DE or 175w SE. Switch the T5s to actinic and move some away from the middle to make room for the MH.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM

eternitybc is on a distinguished road

Thanks Anthony,

I will look at getting actinic bulbs for now as it currently has 6400K ones plus I think they are quite old. Down the road if I do go the MH route would two 150w DE (300 total) be too much for my tank? If I only do a single I'm worried I might melt the plastic cross brace in the middle?

Tags
corner tank, lighting