Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-29-2016, 08:45 PM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
I think that is pretty much it... this hobby keeps getting more and more expensive, while the amount of gratification coming out of it stays constant. Equipment manufacturers keep replacing less expensive older models with more expensive newer ones, and then complain about consumers flocking to inexpensive Chinese brands of similar quality.

Retailers are probably just doing what they need to do to stay in business, but I've also noticed livestock prices have risen quite a bit in the last year, despite a fairly constant dollar. A 25% off livestock boxing week sale right now just means I'm able to buy the same fish I did last year at the same price.
While I agree with your point overall, most of the local prices haven't gone up 25%. I track of most of my purchases, and I've noticed some of my livestock are worth a bit more but only 10-15%. Some of the entry level fish are the same or even cheaper (Firefish, bluethoat trigger, Ocellaris...) I also noticed the sticker price of the Salifert kits are waaay cheaper now too.
I'm speaking only locally, btw. I haven't kept an eye on the online prices as close.