Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-22-2016, 07:41 PM

corallivore is on a distinguished road

honestly, 25% brighter would be awesome.

The cloudy light diffuser was stupid from the get go as far as I'm concerned.

Simplified, it says in the reefbuilders article that the E5's are basically an led that acts like a T5 whereas the E5X's are more an LED that fit's into a T5.

I can't support a company that works this way though.

They would have known full well at launch that these better versions were in development, I am sure my sentiments regarding this product were widespread but they were too far into production before they got the feedback they needed to make these changes.

So I won't be buying them unless they offer some kind of a trade in rebate.

BUT based on that article, it would seem the E5x's will address the issues I had with the E5's.

brighter and more LED pop.

Last edited by corallivore; 11-22-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:41 PM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

Not sure what the issue is.

I think it's a good sign that they listened to their customer and are making a better product. We see this all the time in several other industries. Samsung and LG are selling TV's today that they know full well are going to be replaced with something better in 3 months from now. TV's that will fix things that consumers are complaining about right now. Tablets, smartphones, laptops all have a lifespan of less than 1 year before the shiny new model comes out.

The consumer demands progress. What's the alternative? Refuse to improve the design because not enough time has past? Let the competition beat them to the punch? They aren't going to recall it as it's not defective, it's just not living up to expectations.

In reality they could have offered both models with the E5X being the step up. I suspect by discontinuing the E5 they can count on volume being higher on the E5X so price will be closer to the original.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcookie View Post
Not sure what the issue is.

I think it's a good sign that they listened to their customer and are making a better product. We see this all the time in several other industries. Samsung and LG are selling TV's today that they know full well are going to be replaced with something better in 3 months from now. TV's that will fix things that consumers are complaining about right now. Tablets, smartphones, laptops all have a lifespan of less than 1 year before the shiny new model comes out.

The consumer demands progress. What's the alternative? Refuse to improve the design because not enough time has past? Let the competition beat them to the punch? They aren't going to recall it as it's not defective, it's just not living up to expectations.

In reality they could have offered both models with the E5X being the step up. I suspect by discontinuing the E5 they can count on volume being higher on the E5X so price will be closer to the original.
They've alreasy said pricing will be the same, says the the article posted above.

What TV's are you talking about that are outdated in 3 or 4 months?

The last big technology curve I was aware of was 4k/uhd but as far as I know, that technology was on the horizon for years and you still have the option of buying standard HD TV's for less?

The alternative is to offer a trade in, as I mentioned above, or to let customers know when you put the soon to be outdated "new" product to market, let customers know the upgrade is coming...like what would happen with your TV analogy....Knowing full well that your product would be getting a major upgrade/overhaul within a year is completely different and IMO, predatory.

4k, UHD, Smart Tv's...even HD when it was new was a very gradual roll out and phase out.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallivore View Post
They've alreasy said pricing will be the same, says the the article posted above.

What TV's are you talking about that are outdated in 3 or 4 months?

The last big technology curve I was aware of was 4k/uhd but as far as I know, that technology was on the horizon for years and you still have the option of buying standard HD TV's for less?

The alternative is to offer a trade in, as I mentioned above, or to let customers know when you put the soon to be outdated "new" product to market, let customers know the upgrade is coming...like what would happen with your TV analogy....Knowing full well that your product would be getting a major upgrade/overhaul within a year is completely different and IMO, predatory.

4k, UHD, Smart Tv's...even HD when it was new was a very gradual roll out and phase out.
It's just an example, but....

If you buy an LED Tv today, it will be discontinued in January and the new one will probably land in march. It won't be a radical new technology, just an improvement on existing LED tech. Improvements based on customer feedback and refining the engineering going into the technology. They won't offer you a trade in on the new one just because it performs better. Even if it's defective you don't get to trade it in, it's repaired. And the price of the new tv won't be the same, it will be much cheaper!

New technology is always in the works. A product lifecycle will vary based on a number of factors, but if a company always waited to launch because something better is coming they'd never sell anything. Something better is always coming.

Maybe i'm missing the point? Far as i know, the E5 isn't defective, just underwhelming?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcookie View Post
It's just an example, but....

If you buy an LED Tv today, it will be discontinued in January and the new one will probably land in march. It won't be a radical new technology, just an improvement on existing LED tech. Improvements based on customer feedback and refining the engineering going into the technology. They won't offer you a trade in on the new one just because it performs better. Even if it's defective you don't get to trade it in, it's repaired. And the price of the new tv won't be the same, it will be much cheaper!

New technology is always in the works. A product lifecycle will vary based on a number of factors, but if a company always waited to launch because something better is coming they'd never sell anything. Something better is always coming.

Maybe i'm missing the point? Far as i know, the E5 isn't defective, just underwhelming?
Not a great analogy at all.

The big difference is that you KNOW the next TV is coming, you KNOW your iphone is going to be outdated.

People salivate over the next best thing.

If I had known these were coming in less than a year (as the company surely did) I would not have bought, the company knew that and acted accordingly.

I get what you're trying to say, maybe you'd feel different if you had been the one to drop a few hundred on these...maybe not.

As for me, I'm not satisfied and feel the company did a terrible job in informing their customers knowing full well the product they had been hyping for months as a game changer would be outdated within a year.

Last edited by corallivore; 11-23-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallivore View Post
Not a great analogy at all.

The big difference is that you KNOW the next TV is coming, you KNOW your iphone is going to be outdated.

People salivate over the next best thing.

If I had known these were coming in less than a year (as the company surely did) I would not have bought, the company knew that and acted accordingly.

I get what you're trying to say, maybe you'd feel different if you had been the one to drop a few hundred on these...maybe not.

As for me, I'm not satisfied and feel the company did a terrible job in informing their customers knowing full well the product they had been hyping for months as a game changer would be outdated within a year.

Semantics, right?

Overall, if you're not satisfied with the product you're probably not going to buy anything from that company again. We vote with our dollars. I think we can both agree on that.