Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post

Its funny that this article was posted "http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature" as it actually downplays the importance of a skimmer in the reef setting:
If you read carefully I never mentioned FIFO, do not put words into my mouth.

Funny you should mention the article, did you read it? did you see how the tests were done?

Do you see what "Q " represents and what the values were?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

did the original post even mention a skimmer?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM

Riptide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
just wondering how many times an hour should the tank water go through the sump? 1? 5? 10?
I'm even more confused now than before reading this thread....how big is the display tank, how big is the sump, what kinda of skimmer and how many gal is it rated for? also what other equip do you have
Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM

mr.wilson is on a distinguished road

I can only lead a horse to water, the rest is out of my hands. This is the last time I answer this question, as there is nothing ambiguous in my responses thus far.

The original question was "just wondering how many times an hour should the tank water go through the sump? 1? 5? 10?".

Before that question can be answered we must first establish why you are using a sump? The answer to that question is the sump is used to house filtration devices so we don't have them hanging on the back of the tank and to a certain extent, to improve efficiency of these filters.

The next question is how much water do these devices require? The answer is whatever the highest demand is of any one particular device you are using. If you have a rapid sand filter that runs on a 1 HP pump, then you should run about 6000 GPH through your sump. If you are using a protein skimmer and it has the highest demand for feed water, then you need to establish how much water it has flowing through it. This number is likely to be 450 GPH, depending on the skimmer design. So in this case the answer to your question is your flow rate through the sump should be 450 GPH, regardless of the size of your tank.

If you are not concerned about the efficiency of your filtration devices, noise, operational cost, plumbing, saltcreep, water quality, temperature, display surface skimming, or initial equipment cost then pick a random number and multiply it by the size of your tank. Then place your protein skimmer in your sump and allow it to randomly draw in water and return it in the same compartment.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:50 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
If you read carefully I never mentioned FIFO, do not put words into my mouth.

Funny you should mention the article, did you read it? did you see how the tests were done?

Do you see what "Q " represents and what the values were?
My comment was not directed to you, when I said the "Gentlemen in Toronto" I should of said the "Gentlemen in Toronto here for a discussion and not personal attacks". This will be my actual final post, for the original poster I apologize if this got off topic but you sure have a fun 11 page read .
Levi
Old 04-04-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
My comment was not directed to you, when I said the "Gentlemen in Toronto" I should of said the "Gentlemen in Toronto here for a discussion and not personal attacks". This will be my actual final post, for the original poster I apologize if this got off topic but you sure have a fun 11 page read .
Levi

I will ask a question again, did you read the link that you posted?

This never got of topic, I responded to the OP and you decided to make it an issue
Quote:
This will be my actual final post,
Whenever I see this statement written it always means the same thing. you simply do not believe it and your way is the best way and you cannot prove it, you have been offered a number of alternatives with proof yet you want us to believe you rather than have a civil discussion, you are tired of trying to get us to believe that we are wrong
Old 04-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Levi
Just one more thought, there are many here from Toronto or surrounding areas, please do not make this a geographical argument.

Paul
Old 04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

So what's the verdict? How many times per hour should the water go through the sump??
Old 04-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 PM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

I'm just gonna wait for this episode to be shown on mythbusters, not that they are any good but it would be fun to watch.