Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 PM

newreefer_59 is on a distinguished road
Default Proper feeding of my fish in reef tank...am I over-feeding?

have a 150 gallon reef tank comprised of SPS, LPS and some softies along with 16 reef friendly fish. ALL looks healthy, but wondering if I am over feeding. Daily, I give a few pinches of marine pellets and a few pinches of Seaweed pellets as well as a piece of vegetation. I then break off a piece of brine shrimp about the size of a quarter and feed after it is thawed. Is this an adequate daily feeding or am I over-doing it? All food seems to go pretty quickly. Thought?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

If you're happy with the SPS coloration you're getting then I would say no you're not over feeding. You could try switching the brine with mysis as that's more nutritious and would allow you to cut back on it a little without effecting the fish health.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 PM

dc4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newreefer_59 View Post
have a 150 gallon reef tank comprised of SPS, LPS and some softies along with 16 reef friendly fish. ALL looks healthy, but wondering if I am over feeding. Daily, I give a few pinches of marine pellets and a few pinches of Seaweed pellets as well as a piece of vegetation. I then break off a piece of brine shrimp about the size of a quarter and feed after it is thawed. Is this an adequate daily feeding or am I over-doing it? All food seems to go pretty quickly. Thought?
Lol, I have a 72g and I feed 2x pinches of pellets in the morning and a nice pinch of flakes. When I get home from work, I feed 1x cube of mysis, 1x cube of chopped clams, 1x cube blood worms, 3x caps of snow, 1/2 scoop of mixed powders, and a nice piece of seaweed. Id say your pretty safe with what you feed.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4 View Post
Lol, I have a 72g and I feed 2x pinches of pellets in the morning and a nice pinch of flakes. When I get home from work, I feed 1x cube of mysis, 1x cube of chopped clams, 1x cube blood worms, 3x caps of snow, 1/2 scoop of mixed powders, and a nice piece of seaweed. Id say your pretty safe with what you feed.

So its not just me Lol I have a 90g and I feed equivelent. About 4 cubes of frozen, pellets in the morning and night and about a cup of different powered foods and additives corals love it fish get leftovers
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
So its not just me Lol I have a 90g and I feed equivelent. About 4 cubes of frozen, pellets in the morning and night and about a cup of different powered foods and additives corals love it fish get leftovers
that's a lot considering you have no fish

I feed about 1/2 cube per feeding, usually feed every 2 days or so. I don't have many fish though. It keeps things easy, I clean the glass every 2 weeks and even then it's not very dirty.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I overfeed like mad. I have anthias which need a damn near constant food supply broadcast fed into the tank. I feed a dime size of fish roe, a pinch of cyclopeeze and 1 to 2 pinches of NLS pellets - 2 to 4 times a day! I think I've gone through 1.5 lbs of fish roe in 3 or 4 months for 3 fish. Oh, and this is a 50 gallon...

I think you're good. Just watch the water quality and you're good.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 AM

wingedfish is on a distinguished road

Wow, do I ever under feed! I feed once, every other day and alternate between a half cube mysis or a pinch of Nls pellets. 9 fish sps dominated 70 gallon, almost two years old. I used to feed everyday but put them on a diet when they got fat. That was around 6 months ago.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 AM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedfish View Post
Wow, do I ever under feed! I feed once, every other day and alternate between a half cube mysis or a pinch of Nls pellets. 9 fish sps dominated 70 gallon, almost two years old. I used to feed everyday but put them on a diet when they got fat. That was around 6 months ago.
I tend to underfed as well. 90 gallon tank (75 gallon sump)I use an auto feeder to feed NLS once a day then mysis and seaweed maybe once every 2-3 days along with some marine snow and freeze dried cyclopeeze (about 3-4 days). Maybe time to ramp up the feeding! (slowly of course). I'm battling GHA right now... It is slowly going away so aim a bit sheepish to change the regiment.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 AM

dc4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I overfeed like mad. I have anthias which need a damn near constant food supply broadcast fed into the tank. I feed a dime size of fish roe, a pinch of cyclopeeze and 1 to 2 pinches of NLS pellets - 2 to 4 times a day! I think I've gone through 1.5 lbs of fish roe in 3 or 4 months for 3 fish. Oh, and this is a 50 gallon...

I think you're good. Just watch the water quality and you're good.
Oh ya, forgot about the cyclopeeze too...: )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I used to feed 6-8 times a day since I work at home.

Now once a day usually. Some pellets and a squirt of mysis. 1/2 sheet of nori.

Done.