Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
This is an oldie , but my favorite telemarketer prank

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLMcQ09BHc
Yep that is a good one. Telemarketers beware--any calls to my house will be taken by my 2 year old daughter. She always has a lot to say.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM

wingedfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
Telemarketers beware--any calls to my house will be taken by my 2 year old daughter. She always has a lot to say.
Back when I had a land line this is what I did too. Got rid of the land line, no more telemarketers.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

They've called my house several times telling me they were calling to fix the problems on my PC and I say "oh really, cause I have a Mac", they instantly hang up, lol.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I suppose next your going to tell me that that PayPal update email I filled out was a scam too

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 AM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to get ride of them!

A few months ago, I started getting a lot of these calls. I'm a linux server guy and I dont' have a windows computer or max anywhere in my house. As once in a while I have to deal with clueless end users I figured I would have some fun, and this is what I figured out:

They are trying to get your credit card number, or have you install malware on your computer. To make money they have to sucker people in, but do it fast enough that the profit is more than their wages. So, make it not worth it.

I figured I would go with it and "pretend" to be a sucker, but a really, really, really dumb one.

IE: "Start button, nope I don't have one --- in the bottom left, nope I just see a clock, oh, my other left, yup I see it. Do I right or left click? Once or twice? OK I see a menu -- click on run, I don't have that button"

I kept them on the line for a good 20 minutes until it got to the point of me saying -- "Have I wasted enough of your time? Good, call again and I'll waste more!" and they haven't phoned back ever.

BTW --- speedtest.net is only good until you get a really fast connection -- I've tried it using my 1000mbps line (both up and down) and I only ever see about 20-30 down and 2 up. No where near what my dedicated fibre can do

It really depends on how loaded the testing servers are, and I've never really seen anything above 100 on any connection.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_bluejay View Post
A few months ago, I started getting a lot of these calls. I'm a linux server guy and I dont' have a windows computer or max anywhere in my house. As once in a while I have to deal with clueless end users I figured I would have some fun, and this is what I figured out:

They are trying to get your credit card number, or have you install malware on your computer. To make money they have to sucker people in, but do it fast enough that the profit is more than their wages. So, make it not worth it.

I figured I would go with it and "pretend" to be a sucker, but a really, really, really dumb one.

IE: "Start button, nope I don't have one --- in the bottom left, nope I just see a clock, oh, my other left, yup I see it. Do I right or left click? Once or twice? OK I see a menu -- click on run, I don't have that button"

I kept them on the line for a good 20 minutes until it got to the point of me saying -- "Have I wasted enough of your time? Good, call again and I'll waste more!" and they haven't phoned back ever.
I was planning on doing the same thing but the only telemarketers I get are political parties trying to get donations, as if my taxes aren't enough for them. I think it would be a lot of fun!