Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 AM

tyke1962 is on a distinguished road
Default maroon clown breeding

have seen what I think are eggs near my maroon clowns anybody have experiance breeding them sucessfully will try to upload photo tomorrow
Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 AM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke1962 View Post
have seen what I think are eggs near my maroon clowns anybody have experiance breeding them sucessfully will try to upload photo tomorrow
Hey I would be willing to give it a go. I have a small nano tank that I think would be a good starter. Would need to start raising some Rotifers for them.

http://www.breedclownfish.com/
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

From what I've heard from a local clownfish breeder and also seen at J&L when they got in a huge ORA captive bred Maroon clown shipment, one major drawback of breeding this species is that as they get older, the maroons will attack each other and shred each others fins. There is no familial love here and sibling rivalry is rampant. If only a couple babies survive, then no problem. If you become very adept and successful at raising the young, be prepared for this sort of nasty behaviour. Maroons are my favourite clowns in terms of looks, but every one I've ever owned turned out to be an @sshole fish in the end. Biting the hand that feeds them, pulling corals out of their holes and tossing them (not kidding), etc.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM

tyke1962 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys will do some more research and see what happens
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Although somewhat dated, Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes is a good resource if you plan to breed any type of clownfish.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:18 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
From what I've heard from a local clownfish breeder and also seen at J&L when they got in a huge ORA captive bred Maroon clown shipment, one major drawback of breeding this species is that as they get older, the maroons will attack each other and shred each others fins. There is no familial love here and sibling rivalry is rampant. If only a couple babies survive, then no problem. If you become very adept and successful at raising the young, be prepared for this sort of nasty behaviour. Maroons are my favourite clowns in terms of looks, but every one I've ever owned turned out to be an @sshole fish in the end. Biting the hand that feeds them, pulling corals out of their holes and tossing them (not kidding), etc.
Mine is the reason I wear shoulder length rubber gloves when working in my tank. Mine will also move anything that he deems inappropriate. Great colour and isn't a "nemo", but is a realy bitch.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Pick up "Clownfish by Joyce D. Wilkerson" its the clownfish bible. There is a whole section on breeding maroons. Even how to pair them.