Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 AM

H2oStable is on a distinguished road
Default Breeding Seahorses

Hi Everyone,

Let me first introduce myself, I am Pazil's (Lawrence) wife. I have met a few of you and have become somewhat addicted to this hobby as well. Anyway, the reason for my post is that I am curious if anyone in Calgary (or surrounding area) is currently raising (or trying) seahorses. Our male is pregnant again and I am considering trying my hand at these babies because it is such a regular occurence now and I hate watching them disappear. I know there is Seahorse.org for good information, however, I was wondering if there was somewhere I could have a look at a setup in person? Anyway, nice to have met some of you already and hope to meet some more people soon.

Thanks
Sharon
Old 05-09-2009, 03:14 AM

Key Equine is on a distinguished road

Hello Sharon!

I have a seahorse species tank, however I haven't started trying to breed yet. I would like to try it in the future but my breeding pair haven't matured yet. So I guess I'm not really helpful to you as far as your breeding setup question, but just wanted to say hello to a fellow seahorse keeper!!
Definitely seahorse.org has a lot of information. Let me know how it goes if you set up a system for the babies!

Claire
Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 AM

Well I think the concensus is that we will go ahead and give it a try. I will start with getting a species only tank up and running first and move the parents out of the reef while we are in the process of turning the office into a breeding room. My only concern is the food requirements. If anyone has any successful (and easy) info regarding rotifers or bbs....that would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Equine View Post
Hello Sharon!

I have a seahorse species tank, however I haven't started trying to breed yet. I would like to try it in the future but my breeding pair haven't matured yet. So I guess I'm not really helpful to you as far as your breeding setup question, but just wanted to say hello to a fellow seahorse keeper!!
Definitely seahorse.org has a lot of information. Let me know how it goes if you set up a system for the babies!

Claire
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Hi Sharon,
I think a few of us will be excited to hear how you make out. I have Seahorses as well
and would love them to breed. I have seen tanks ( can't remember where, set up for
rearing the babies) They seemed pretty plain, had plastic grate things for them to
perch on not sure what they used exactly. Some kind of garden thing I think. Hope you keep us posted on how you do it!
Leah
Old 05-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Key Equine is on a distinguished road

Also, Sharon, do you know what type of seahorses you have? Certain species are easier to raise than others... Unfortunately my breeding pair are H. Comes (Tigertail) which are quite difficult to raise. It will be a challenge!!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

There was someone up in edmonton breeding a couple years ago (ok 2005ish) ; don't believe I've heard much since...

BBS are REALLY easy to hatch, but may not be the best food source... Rotifers are a bit more involved (never done it myself so i'll stop there). Seem to recall one of the setups I liked from the horse boards was an air driven lift pump system that used a HUGE fuge of chaeto stocked up with pods etc...
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Equine View Post
Also, Sharon, do you know what type of seahorses you have? Certain species are easier to raise than others... Unfortunately my breeding pair are H. Comes (Tigertail) which are quite difficult to raise. It will be a challenge!!

We have hippocampus erectus and from what I have read so far they may be one of the easier ones. This is one of the reasons I have decided to give it a try. I have read some of them are way more complex in raising.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Hi Sharon,
I think a few of us will be excited to hear how you make out. I have Seahorses as well
and would love them to breed. I have seen tanks ( can't remember where, set up for
rearing the babies) They seemed pretty plain, had plastic grate things for them to
perch on not sure what they used exactly. Some kind of garden thing I think. Hope you keep us posted on how you do it!
Leah

I will start a build thread once we get some equipment picked up.....I will be looking for 3 - 29 gallon tanks and 1 - 15 tall to get it all started. But firstly I need to figure out what I want to do with ma and pa. Perhaps a hexagon or something. Well it will be a busy weekend I guess
Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Sounds like fun though!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

One of the bigger tank sellers - perfecto or AGA sell a 30XH (24x12 footprint - same as a 20g) but 24" tall - that works great for a breeding tank.
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.