Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_bluejay View Post
Wow, that is a lot of machines! It is rare for me to run into anyone that deals with the number of machines as me , let alone more. I guess this is where I get to rub our linux setup in a bit. -- Last week, I pushed out about 200 software updates to 3000 machines at over 40 sites, and that was during morning coffee. I always love to jest fellow IT people over that one
Well ,hmm, we're rolling out our April rollout to 35k + machines right now. While I eat lunch We manage several hundred sites all across the province. We actually have a huge deployment schedule with our SMS team, all patches and upgrades ae deployed via SMS. We run Windows because our client asked for Windows (currently rolling out about 3000 Vista PCs/mo). I like Linux, but really haven't used it much the last few years. Now if you want to go on about GPOs, that's my specialty lately
Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
We actually have a huge deployment schedule with our SMS team, all patches and upgrades ae deployed via SMS.
I hate WSUS so much. I am sorting out patches this week for about 80 clients over 2 sites and it will probably take me all afternoon to set the deadlines correctly.

I will definitely be looking at SMS shortly.

Sorry for the hijack!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well ,hmm, we're rolling out our April rollout to 35k + machines right now. While I eat lunch We manage several hundred sites all across the province. We actually have a huge deployment schedule with our SMS team, all patches and upgrades ae deployed via SMS. We run Windows because our client asked for Windows (currently rolling out about 3000 Vista PCs/mo). I like Linux, but really haven't used it much the last few years. Now if you want to go on about GPOs, that's my specialty lately
Dare I even ask who the client is? I'm assuming some crown corp or other government agency.

Well, I guess that is what happens when you get over a certain size. I just hate getting those wannabe computer guys that say silly things like "Oh, you just install it on each machine by putting the CD in, and clicking next,next,next,finish on each machine" and trying to explain why that does work on a large scale.
We acutally run diskless clients (fat clients) for everything now. It really makes backups much easier to do, as every machines gets a full nightly backup every night, going back a full year+.
I avoid GPO, PDC's and most of the windows based stuff now, as it is just too much of a pain. On the plus side, I no longer have to deal with any more Novell netware either

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
I hate WSUS so much. I am sorting out patches this week for about 80 clients over 2 sites and it will probably take me all afternoon to set the deadlines correctly.
http://www.wsus.nl/site/
Once again Google to the rescue. What normally would have taken me 2 hours was accomplished in 10 minutes thanks to someone else fixing Microsoft's terrible product.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:46 AM

SeaShell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And you actually can drop them from 12 feet
Yeah.... I've conducted some testing in that regard.... But not from 12', that would require a ladder and I'd have to explain to my boss why I climbed a ladder just to drop the Toughbook.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
Yeah.... I've conducted some testing in that regard.... But not from 12', that would require a ladder and I'd have to explain to my boss why I climbed a ladder just to drop the Toughbook.
My actual project was to source tough laptops, so they had to go through all the tests I could perform. The larger CF29 and CF30's are not too bad, but the CF 19!! I can't even fit my fingers on the keys
Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_bluejay View Post
Dare I even ask who the client is? I'm assuming some crown corp or other government agency.

Well, I guess that is what happens when you get over a certain size. I just hate getting those wannabe computer guys that say silly things like "Oh, you just install it on each machine by putting the CD in, and clicking next,next,next,finish on each machine" and trying to explain why that does work on a large scale.
We acutally run diskless clients (fat clients) for everything now. It really makes backups much easier to do, as every machines gets a full nightly backup every night, going back a full year+.
I avoid GPO, PDC's and most of the windows based stuff now, as it is just too much of a pain. On the plus side, I no longer have to deal with any more Novell netware either

Sorry for the hijack.
Probably shouldn't name client. Ya, you can't go around to that many boxes with a CD - lol. We used RIS images for our XP deployments, and with Vista we built an image using the WAIK tools. Real easy to add HW packs for new models, so our entire OS base fits on a USB key. Way more complex, with multiple runs using more powershell commands than I care to read, but much better than RIS. We also run some thin clients (Wise) connecting to Citrix servers. We don't back up PCs, all data needs to live on the lan. It's fun, and everyday is a new challenge
My main job right now is managing group policy, login scripts and image "issues". And like you, I haven't had to play with Novell in years!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 PM

SeaShell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My actual project was to source tough laptops, so they had to go through all the tests I could perform. The larger CF29 and CF30's are not too bad, but the CF 19!! I can't even fit my fingers on the keys
Yeah, mines a CF19. I have no issues, but the guys using them do.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 PM

Lydia is on a distinguished road

I use a toughbook, too, the CF-W7. Took awhile to get used to the smaller keyboard, but what a great laptop! I heard you can drive over it with a pickup truck - LOL (I don't plan to test that). What sold me was a) the weight - very portable at 2 lbs, and b) the disk drive - no flimsy slide out tray.

I'll confess that I often use it hooked up to an LCD monitor - the tiny screen is too hard to look at for 8 hours a day

Last edited by Lydia; 04-22-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling