Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 04-25-2016, 12:10 AM

harlequin01 is on a distinguished road
Default anyone uses Olympus TG 850 ?

hi i just bought this camera on ebay but it was difficult to take sharp underwater coral pics under LED even after adjusting the white balance. All came out dull and wash out. What makes it weird is my friend who has TG-4 (higher model) showed me how he took his pic. I uses his exact setting but still my display cannot show natural color like his olympus. i was thinking that mine might be defective. btw i bought mine refurbished. If anyone of you have the same camera please share your experience. thank you
Old 04-25-2016, 02:24 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Does the camera take clear macro pics with any of the other white balance settings outside of your tank? Or just when you set a custom white balance setting in your tank? The TG-850 has a "macro"mode and the TG-4 had "microscope" mode and from my experience I can't transfer white balance setting from one camera to the other so not sure how you're getting the exact same settings?
Setting the white balance can be a bit tricky especially if using LEDs. I believe the manual suggests taking a photo of something completely white taking up the whole frame, I've had better luck taking a further back shot including an object with white in the middle of it.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:53 AM

My TG-850 was set to the same parameter as my friend's TG-4 and his came out natural (like what you see with your naked eye) under LED but mine is dark and cannot replicate his color. I will try using a white plate as an object inside the tank and we'll see how it comes out. I've never tried macro outside the tank because my tank is made of fiber so I can't take pics from the sides.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:23 AM

here is sample pics of my shots around the tank, too dark to my liking

Last edited by harlequin01; 04-26-2016 at 02:27 AM. Reason: links didnt come out
Old 04-26-2016, 04:02 AM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

What settings was he using?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin01 View Post
My TG-850 was set to the same parameter as my friend's TG-4 and his came out natural (like what you see with your naked eye) under LED but mine is dark and cannot replicate his color. I will try using a white plate as an object inside the tank and we'll see how it comes out. I've never tried macro outside the tank because my tank is made of fiber so I can't take pics from the sides.
In order to get crisp macro shots it really helps turning all or most of the flow off in the tank, also using something to steady your hand helps, like propping your pinky finger onto the rock work beside what your shooting. Sometimes you gotta get both your arms wet. Sorry when I said outside your tank I meant like an object nowhere near your tank, like a set of keys. Just wondering if the camera is capable in general of taking clear shots or if it's something to do with you white balance and/or shots being taken underwater.

The TG-850/TG-4 are similar but take different quality photos with different settings and capabilities. One has macro/super macro, the other has microscope. They have different apertures or f-stop or something. The 850 should be able to take macro shots about an inch away from the subject. The TG-4 can almost touch the coral it's ridiculous.

I still don't understand how you're using the same parameters as your friend? Are you using his white balance settings somehow? Or did you white balance with your friends tank and think it should work for your tank as well?

Most of your pics look pretty good, the first 2 overall anyway! The 3rd and 5th pic have some grainy looking blues. They dont look too dark either, if you wanna change that you can just adjust your exposure, its the setting that starts with 0 and can be adjusted from -2 to +2
Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 AM

Ok, I tried again taking pics under just actinic and all I got was this

HERE ARE MY SETTING: Macro Underwater, No flash, exposure 0, underwater WB (tried all settings but pic doesn't improve)

Old 04-26-2016, 01:48 PM

Ahhh you're in underwater mode. Get out of there and into macro or super macro. It should be the flower symbol on the dial.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:49 PM

lyall12 is on a distinguished road

I've got the 850 and it does do a really good job. As mentioned, make sure you're in super macro and not underwater. Not having it in macro won't let it focus close. Hardest part is holding it still while you press the button. Try on something well lit and dry first.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM

And dont use the underwater white balance either. That isn't a customizable setting. Use either 1 or 2 like you're on, and just press menu when pointed at something white.

Heres a couple pics i took last night. One with an 810 and the other with a TG-4. They are in a different league when it comes to qulity close up pics, dont expct the 850 to compare to the TG-4

810 (Super macro)

TG-4 (Microscope)