Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM

michael151722 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Questions

Hello guys i am new to the hobby and have done around 4 months of research but still have some questions regarding this hobby hopefully it can be answered

1) Did anyone in Canada ever needed to use a Chiller don't really wanna get one since its so expensive, i live in Toronto btw
2) I have a hood on my tank how should i put my fans and power heads inside and can still properly cover the tank
3) Has anyone try ecoliverock.org, how was the rock and did it take longer 4-6 weeks than usual to cycle because it is man-made?
4) i have a 55 gallon FOWLR how many powerheads do i need?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Hello guys i am new to the hobby and have done around 4 months of research but still have some questions regarding this hobby hopefully it can be answered

Welcome!

1) Did anyone in Canada ever needed to use a Chiller don't really wanna get one since its so expensive, i live in Toronto btw

Yes, some people need to use chillers in the summer. The main factor is whether your home has central A/C or not, and which type of lighting you're looking to use. You posted this in the FOWLR section, so I'm assuming you won't have corals, so you won't need high output lighting, plus you can turn the lights off if it gets too hot, so you probably won't need a chiller.

2) I have a hood on my tank how should i put my fans and power heads inside and can still properly cover the tank

Usually you cut a notch out and run the lines through the notch. A jigsaw or hacksaw should do the trick if it's plastic.

3) Has anyone try ecoliverock.org, how was the rock and did it take longer 4-6 weeks than usual to cycle because it is man-made?

I haven't used this rock. I'm not a fan of dry rock at all, so I probably wouldn't be a fan of this rock either. It takes a long time (~a year-ish) for dry rock to function as live rock as far as establishing anaerobic bacteria inside the rock which help with denitrification which is the off-gassing of nitrate (in the form of nitrogen). The short, simple of it is that you can easily get an unusual nitrate build up in tanks started with dry rock and it can be difficult to get a handle on it. For this reason, I prefer real live rock or at the very least as much live rock as possible (say 50/50).

Thanks

First, keep in mind that a marine aquarium needs MUCH more flow than a freshwater aquarium, so don't be too surprised once you plug them in and you see how powerful they are. You will probably need two that are in the 1000-1200 gph range each or one that is around 2000 gph. What is your budget?

Tunzes are very good quality pumps and would be my choice - the non-controllable ones are reasonably priced. The Tunze 6015 is about 1200 gph and are about $55 each, or a 6065 is about 1700 gph and is $150.

If you're looking for something cheaper the Hydor Koralia pumps have been reasonably good (for cheap pumps) for me. They don't go up to 2000 gph though. The Koralia 1500 gph is about $75 and the 1150 is about $65. Interestingly, the Tunze 6015 is cheaper than the Koralia 1150, and the Tunze is a way better pump.

You could buy one Tunze 6015 and one Koralia 1500.

Another thing, a 55-gallon tank is VERY small for a FOWLR, what type of fish are yo planning to add? 55-gallons will be limiting for fish that are usually kept in FOWLR tanks (ones not compatible with corals).

Some people like Jebao pumps. If you buy Jebao, buy a spare (they break down lots lol). They are cheap enough to buy a spare though.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

Welcome!

Yes, some people need to use chillers in the summer. The main factor is whether your home has central A/C or not, and which type of lighting you're looking to use. You posted this in the FOWLR section, so I'm assuming you won't have corals, so you won't need high output lighting, plus you can turn the lights off if it gets too hot, so you probably won't need a chiller.

Usually you cut a notch out and run the lines through the notch. A jigsaw or hacksaw should do the trick if it's plastic.

I haven't used this rock. I'm not a fan of dry rock at all, so I probably wouldn't be a fan of this rock either. It takes a long time (~a year-ish) for dry rock to function as live rock as far as establishing anaerobic bacteria inside the rock which help with denitrification which is the off-gassing of nitrate (in the form of nitrogen). The short, simple of it is that you can easily get an unusual nitrate build up in tanks started with dry rock and it can be difficult to get a handle on it. For this reason, I prefer real live rock or at the very least as much live rock as possible (say 50/50).

Thanks

First, keep in mind that a marine aquarium needs MUCH more flow than a freshwater aquarium, so don't be too surprised once you plug them in and you see how powerful they are. You will probably need two that are in the 1000-1200 gph range each or one that is around 2000 gph. What is your budget?

Tunzes are very good quality pumps and would be my choice - the non-controllable ones are reasonably priced. The Tunze 6015 is about 1200 gph and are about $55 each, or a 6065 is about 1700 gph and is $150.

If you're looking for something cheaper the Hydor Koralia pumps have been reasonably good (for cheap pumps) for me. They don't go up to 2000 gph though. The Koralia 1500 gph is about $75 and the 1150 is about $65. Interestingly, the Tunze 6015 is cheaper than the Koralia 1150, and the Tunze is a way better pump.

You could buy one Tunze 6015 and one Koralia 1500.

Another thing, a 55-gallon tank is VERY small for a FOWLR, what type of fish are yo planning to add? 55-gallons will be limiting for fish that are usually kept in FOWLR tanks (ones not compatible with corals).

Some people like Jebao pumps. If you buy Jebao, buy a spare (they break down lots lol). They are cheap enough to buy a spare though.
Hey thanks for the reply man really appreciate it, i am looking at a 90 actually with mainly hardy fishes like blennies, clowns, wrasse etc and maybe a yellow tang. And also yes i have central A/C is right next to the tank. My main question is i can fit fans and powerheads if i have a hood right and still close it properly.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 02:56 PM

also i am looking at lights that come with the tank, regarding the ecoliverock it says that it has been in SW for several years and the pics of it are full of coraline algae would this help cycle it faster, i have seen people use it before but can't find the thread,
Old 11-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael151722 View Post
Hey thanks for the reply man.
Thanks
Lol... Myka is a girl!

Welcome to Canreef.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

Quote:
also i am looking at lights that come with the tank, regarding the ecoliverock it says that it has been in SW for several years and the pics of it are full of coraline algae would this help cycle it faster, i have seen people use it before but can't find the thread,
The only reason, you would need to cycle live rock is if organic material on the rock is dying off and causing ammonia.

I prefer using dry rock, seeding it with bacteria, feeding the bacteria with ammonia. Its much cleaner an faster and no pests get introduced.

Since you are new, I HIGHLY recommend watching these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKEX...3fMomFb9XU0ffC

Week 13 episode is will answer all your questions about biological filtration.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply man really appreciate it, i am looking at a 90 actually with mainly hardy fishes like blennies, clowns, wrasse etc and maybe a yellow tang. And also yes i have central A/C is right next to the tank. My main question is i can fit fans and powerheads if i have a hood right and still close it properly.

also i am looking at lights that come with the tank, regarding the ecoliverock it says that it has been in SW for several years and the pics of it are full of coraline algae would this help cycle it faster, i have seen people use it before but can't find the thread
Like I said, you may need to trim some cut outs for the cords, but they will fit. Are they T8 or T5 lights?

Ah, I forgot the eco stuff was live rock. It should do the trick. It's probably denser than real live rock, but certainly leaps and bounds better than starting with dry rock imo.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:08 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

One of the pump options not mentioned yet, gasp, are EcoTech VorTech. Very pricey compared to many offerings, but quality gear and your electrical cords stay outside the tank, will not interfere with any hood. Good, broad flow pattern and plenty of it. Also low voltage so inherently safer around water, particularly the salty, highly conductive kind.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the answers this was really helpful, and sorry Myka lol i thought u were a guy. Also do any of you guys have a ATO system and does it fit under the hood?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 05:46 PM

ATO systems are usually run in sumps where the light doesn't hit them. If you use it directly in the tank you run the risk of algae and crud gumming up and causing grief.

SPS fanatic.