Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Fishfanatic is on a distinguished road
Default Blue ringed octopus

Hey has anyone ever had one of these or know where to get one? I know they are extremly venomous but I still want one, any info on where to get one would help, thanks.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Hard animals to keep, don't live long and can kill you. I don't know...
Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

I saw one once, it was the size of loonie. The wholesaler had included a liablity waiver with it. Just in case you died from it.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

even if i did know, it would go against my morals concerning this hobby to tell you. Im sorry, but anything that can easily kill a full grown man in under twenty minutes just shouldnt be even considered in this hobby. tell me do you have kids? any curious pets or friends that come over regularly? just because you know the dangers, doesn't mean they do.

besides unless they are agitated and freaked out, they dont show the gorgeous electric blue rings... for the most part they are just a drab brown with a less than stellar rate of activity. and they have a pretty short lifespan to boot. Have you considered a bimac?

i dont usually shoot ideas down like this, but this particular animal really gets to me. dont get me wrong, i understand the alure; they really are stunning animals, but the risks FAR outweigh any benefit you might get. this is the kind of animal only experienced researchers and mama nature should be keeping.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Is it worth dying to have one? Seriously, one wrong move and you are dead, not sick or in pain, dead!

Many other species out there to enjoy.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 02-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

well said I'm on the boat with justinl!

While you may know the dangers of keeping this animal people around you may not, and if your kids are aware they may still wanna try, I wonder how many times someone has said don't touch it it's dangerous and 10 minutes after oops I touched it. Kids are cirious about nature and hands on, often they are courages and unaware! that's where the problem lies not to mention that octopussies are escape artists and one day you may stumble into it on the kitchen floor what do you do then?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

What they said.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road
Default I saw one...

When I lived in aussi for 6 months I say a couple diving, and 2 in shallow tide pools. Beautiful animals that are eye candy for little kids as they see the blue rings appear, Which means they are intimidated!!!! I wouldnt go as far as saying your dead in 20 minutes . Without medical help you could be in trouble though.... Not meant for a home tank, if you want something thats dangerous but accepted in this hobby try a Lion fish. prick yourself on a spine and if you love the feeling then try a cone snail, love that move to Australia and run around in your bare feet picking up blue rings... Better yet Wear a Box Jelly as a hat... lol no in all seriousness Stick to nemo!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention Paly's. There is no known antitoxin for blue ring
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM

PzReefer is on a distinguished road

I purchased a small blue ring in the early nineties and had it for about six months. They are not large octopuses but they do grow quickly and are a huge gamble to keep as a pet. I had one when i lived alone and still had warning signs in case of some unknowing person getting close. The biggest challenge of keeping any octopus is enclosing them to the tank. They are very intelligent and good escape artists. This is how mine finally met his demise as it found its way out to the floor and i found it after work one day in my bathroom three rooms away from where he escaped. IMO just not worth it for the risk. And most likely will perish so not worth it for the octopus either. PS by the way rings are visible when they are not aggravated but glow wildly when they are.