Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyKen View Post
Awesome, I want one bad. Ive never seen them in a Calgary LFS
( hint to any vendors who read this )

Whats happens if they do loose their anemone's? Do they break out the shears and cut a new frag for themselves? lol
Actually, I think you'd find them at almost all of the calgary stores - they make regular appearances at all the ones I frequent... But do ask - because they do hide so you probably wont SEE them.

Mine lost it's anemone's during last years moves - still see it semi-regularly doing just fine without, i've heard stories of them picking up pest anemones though
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Nice crab good to see you finally found it!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Megs is on a distinguished road

cool! i love those guys, i have one, still has both its pom poms
Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfolks View Post
Yeah, he is a cute little guy.....dont be surprised if he goes MIA for a month at a time....we have a 135g and are lucky if we see ours every month! But, its always exciting when we do. Great new addition!
Mine goes missing for a monthe at a time in my 34 gallon. lost a pom pom at some point im hoping will grow back. mine produces eggs all the time aswell.

I thought it was dead for the longest time then one day im walking by at night and there she is. then didnt see again for another 3 weeks. she been around for 6 monthes now.

They are a wicked addition thou congrats.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:54 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
nice pom pom man, what is the retail valve on that one might have to get acouple of them for the new tank.....
Ive seen them for anywhere between 20 and 40 bucks.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Megs is on a distinguished road

his pom pom wont 'grow back' unfortunatly, they are actually small anenomies that the crab hangs on to, but the crab dosent treat them very well (dragges them around and never feeds them) so in the wild they switch them out for new ones occasionaly. he may have just dropped it or it may have died, and i dont think that you can buy new ones, although in a tank with no predators they will be fine without them.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I've had one for at least 2 years. I only see him maybe once every couple months though. I wouldn't keep one in more than a little nano in the future if you ever want to see them.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-23-2008, 11:48 PM

Puff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs View Post
his pom pom wont 'grow back' unfortunatly, they are actually small anenomies that the crab hangs on to, but the crab dosent treat them very well (dragges them around and never feeds them) so in the wild they switch them out for new ones occasionaly. he may have just dropped it or it may have died, and i dont think that you can buy new ones, although in a tank with no predators they will be fine without them.
they actually split the single anenome if they lose one of them. they are also known to pic up small rics and zoas as temporary replacements while they wait for their anenome to grow large enough to split.

they dont mistreat them. they drag them along the substrate to gather food. the anenome gets some, and the crab gets some. the type of anenome they carry doesnt require a lot of light, but the little crabs are mostly nocturnal, so the anenome sometimes gets plenty of light, and other times doesnt get enough, in which case it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
Ive seen them for anywhere between 20 and 40 bucks.
i paid $9.95 for mine at J&L Aquatics.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

We have one in our 230g he has both his pom-poms and I catch a glance of him about every 2-3 weeks
Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 PM

NateL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NateL

Our "boxer" crab Chuck(named after Liddel) is a master at hiding. Its been two months since he was last spotted in our 72. Cool critters, next time into a smaller tank for sure.