Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-08-2016, 05:21 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU-2reef View Post
Don't worry your astigmatism is pretty minor in comparison to what I've seen. Contacts should be ok for you. Just give them a try. The hardest part is getting over the fact that you are poking yourself in the eye with a foreign object. Once you get used to that its way better than glasses.
Thanks for the hope I have had two cornea injuries in the past (one was from finger nail of a buddy at school while fighting; you know...kids and the other was when someone pushed me the nose plug of the glass went in and scratch the cornea) and have experience putting in foreign objects into the eyes. Will probably take some time to do it daily but I am pretty sure I will get used to it

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 01-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I have been wearing Gas Perm's since 1991 and they are great! They are tough and can survive a lot. My vision is pretty bad but it's relatively stable so I've only had to replace these bad boys 3 times in all those years. Chems for cleaning are also cheap...I use Boston Advance (cleaner and storage solution) and I only need about 3 bottles of each per year at about $8-10 each.

Removing them is easy and they breath a lot better than soft lenses. They are tiny (about half the size of softies).

I even dropped one of my in my hot tub one time (don't ask how) and it took me 2 hours to find it but scooped it up, rinsed it off and popped it back in my eye.

I will say that when something gets into them (like sand at the beach) you will think a 6" spike is going through your brain in pain...but otherwise I couldn't imagine going without them.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
When I was about 15 I tried gas permeable lenses. It didn't really work out too well for me, my eyes were bloodshot all the time. I hated them. It took a long time to build up immunity (for lack of a better word) but even still I was literally bloodshot eyes all the time. People would be all "WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU" and I'd be all "I have contacts". And then there'd be this awkward silence. ".... oh. Oh! Well, you look good!" Uh, apparently I don't if your first reaction for fear for my well being????

I don't know what's changed since then (that was a loooonnnng time ago apparently) but now I can wear soft lenses. My prescription is very similar to yours, but it's the astigmatism that it really matters.
Its not immunity, its just that they were so rigid you needed to develop a callous on the inside of your eyelid before the pain went away. I lasted about 5 minutes trying those out before going to regular.

Currently I use monthly disposables. My eyes leave protein deposits on the 2 year ones that just doesn't come off no matter what solution I use. I've been with the disposable ones for about 15 years now. I use the Air Optix ones, they're nice and thin. Love them but I'd like to get my eyes lasered and might look into that soon as I have astigmatism and the toric lenses never get the prescription quite right.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:19 PM

byee is on a distinguished road

When I wore the GP a few years ago, they provide less oxygen to your eyes causing them to be bloodshot. Not sure if it's still the same today.

They are clearer.

You can't rub your eyes when wearing GPs. They will easily move to the back of your eyes. Taking them off is different.

If you're able to wear them, GP's are overall better than the soft lenses.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:35 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I have been wearing Gas Perm's since 1991 and they are great! They are tough and can survive a lot. My vision is pretty bad but it's relatively stable so I've only had to replace these bad boys 3 times in all those years. Chems for cleaning are also cheap...I use Boston Advance (cleaner and storage solution) and I only need about 3 bottles of each per year at about $8-10 each.

Removing them is easy and they breath a lot better than soft lenses. They are tiny (about half the size of softies).

I even dropped one of my in my hot tub one time (don't ask how) and it took me 2 hours to find it but scooped it up, rinsed it off and popped it back in my eye.

I will say that when something gets into them (like sand at the beach) you will think a 6" spike is going through your brain in pain...but otherwise I couldn't imagine going without them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Its not immunity, its just that they were so rigid you needed to develop a callous on the inside of your eyelid before the pain went away. I lasted about 5 minutes trying those out before going to regular.

Currently I use monthly disposables. My eyes leave protein deposits on the 2 year ones that just doesn't come off no matter what solution I use. I've been with the disposable ones for about 15 years now. I use the Air Optix ones, they're nice and thin. Love them but I'd like to get my eyes lasered and might look into that soon as I have astigmatism and the toric lenses never get the prescription quite right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by byee View Post
When I wore the GP a few years ago, they provide less oxygen to your eyes causing them to be bloodshot. Not sure if it's still the same today.

They are clearer.

You can't rub your eyes when wearing GPs. They will easily move to the back of your eyes. Taking them off is different.

If you're able to wear them, GP's are overall better than the soft lenses.
Thanks for all the helpful information I will probably try to go extended soft lenses after reading these but in the end, I will see what the doc suggests are the best for my eyes.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 01-09-2016, 06:13 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Laser surgery to correct vision does involve risk & has its cons, but for me the pros far outweighed the hassle I experienced with glasses & contacts. I switched from glasses to contacts a looooong time ago since I was active in sports & glasses were a huge hindrance. Everyone is different & my contact lens experience dates back to well before GP lenses were available. In fact, soft contact lenses were relatively new at the time.

Anyhow, I always had red eyes when wearing soft contacts & they were never what I consider comfortable in my eyes. Some days were better than others, but overall, I put up with the irritation to make my participation in sporting activities less of a hassle. I also recall forgetting to keep my eyes closed one time as I dived into a swimming pool and guess what happened.... one of the contacts was washed out & I was knackered since it happened far from home in Arizona. Not a big deal these days since replacement contacts are fairly inexpensive, but back in the '80s, that was not the case. You generally had to order them through your optometrist & wait. No buying off the shelf like today.

It's been quite a few years now that I had the lasik done. The thing that convinced me to go for it was that the son of a friend who was renting a room in my condo had the procedure done. IME it's been some of the best money I've spent. If you're concerned about the risk, you can have one eye done to see how it goes. I threw caution to the wind & had both done straight away. Took all of 15 or 20 minutes & I was blown away when I took the patches off the next day & had better than 20-20 vision. One drawback worth mentioning is that it didn't take long for me to require glasses for reading, but I was well informed before the procedure that this may happen. It depends on your age. I was already getting close to the time where I would need reading glasses anyway, so no biggie for me. Happens to most of us at a certain age regardless.

First thing is a consultation & that won't cost you a thing. They will determine if you are even a candidate and provide you with all the pros, cons, risks etc. so that you can make an informed decision to proceed or not.

I actually still have a copy of the info sheet they gave me. Here's a link, MS Word stored on OneDrive. This is from some time in the mid '90's. Safe to assume there have been some advancements in the procedure since then.
http://1drv.ms/1PVTGVw

So yeah, sorry I don't have any info for you on GP contacts having never tried them. Nowadays it's probably not a huge investment to give contacts a try. Your eye practitioner will advise you much better than anyone on a fish forum! Time spent on a laser surgery consultation will also be a worthwhile investment, should be free.