Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

greg beat me to it.. was typing slow and i see the apology

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Matthias Gross is on a distinguished road

I agree - and we don't want to make look anyone as a fool

but you understand that I have to mention my view

we always listen to what our customers say and we try to improve the firmware permanently - that's why we have already firmware 5.14 ... (in average a monthly update)

yes, we also learned our lesson, see my first post what we want to do in order to avoid this kind of desaster in the future
Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 AM

in the end it is your company and you must to what best for your company and i saw what you wish to do for the OP. but the person he spoke to on thephone or email may have had no thoughts of such a thing. sometimes as owners (i have to do this in my business alot) is take a loss for the better good. go the extra mile.. fromm that you will get a better repore than you already have with your product

you seem like a decent guy by the apollogy. and i understand you are defending your brand/reputation. just think of how you yourself would feel.. frustrated..upset.. to the point of giving up.. just a small gesture towards rebuilding ...not saying replace his whole tank..would make your company a hero...im sure the OP will apprecaite the apology and i will leave it at that and let you two deal with ech other and work this out

cheers
jeff

Last edited by lockrookie; 07-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

As Jeff stated, hopefully you will help the OP some ...
After all, he has been quite polite and lost a tank full of wonderful critters

Last edited by gregzz4; 07-27-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Matthias Gross is on a distinguished road

yes, we will help him, I just need a message (maybe he needs a Mitras or something else)

Quote:
but the person he spoke to on thephone or email may have had no thoughts of such a thing
you must know that nobody from our company was in direct touch with him

I assume the communication was with a retailer or a distributor
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Gross View Post

you must know that nobody from our company was in direct touch with him

I assume the communication was with a retailer or a distributor
I'm glad you will help him he is a great guy and a great asset to the reefing community. Hopefully you can find out who miss informed him and set the dealer/distributor straight as well. All this could have been avoided or at least some of it.

Skimmate happens its how the mess is cleaned up that counts. And from me you have impressed me not too many product owners will come out and take the time for explanation.. Nevermind care.. I'm sure other posters will change their thoughts after reading this. If the op takes a mitras... Could be win win for both if he does a review at the same time.. Just saying...

Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

This is good news
Now, you and the OP can work something out and hopefully Steve will feel better when the smoke clears

I'd hate to see him leave the hobby, although this was a pretty bad crash

Good on you Matthias for stepping up and offering to help him out
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

It seems something has got badly out of hand from our support forum, the original thread can be found here

http://profiluxsupport.com/showthrea...ic-Alarm-Reset

It is important to clarify few points that have come to light in this since talking with GHL this morning that they were not aware of.

We sent the photo of the faulty sensor to GHL since the post here (GHL was not aware of the original support case on our forum) and we were informed this sensor was last manufactured 4 years ago.

Our advice on the thread remains, float sensors are mechanical, they do wear out and our advice is to replace them after two years, furthermore as a company GHL have no way of determining the quality of the product that has been stored for long periods, some reasons for this are that the actuator can weaken or stick if stored for long periods in the on position, in regards to magnet degeneration, yes this is highly unlikely, but “could” happen, the purpose of mentioning this is to highlight that stored items of this nature can be effected by external forces and it can not be assumed after two years it will work the same way as it did when new whether used or not, this is why warranties start from date of purchase, not date of use.

We have offered the OP a new sensor even though it was out of warranty (by approx 3 years), this was refused sadly (please read the thread), however our offer remains.

I am sorry to see this thread had to come to light when not all facts were presented.

Naturally we hate to see such upset and I hope it is now clear both GHL and ourselves have offered and done all we can to advise and assist even by offering replacement of out of warranty items.

I think Matthias ha kindly covered all other areas such as multiple power outages etc.

Again - we are very sorry to here about the losses and will of course help the OP out in replacing the sensor as a gesture of kindness irrelevant of its age.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 07-27-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
My intentions here are only to make others ware if these issues. My initial attempt at making profilux aware of the issue didn't go overly well as I attempted to find reasoning for the automatic reset and assurance something would be done to fix it, rather I think they concluded I screwed up by replacing a worn (but working) sensor with what I believed to be new seeing how I purchased it a couple years back but never used it.
I felt it important to clarify this, I apologise for the repeat post but by the time I saw this I could not edit further.

When the thread came to light we also did post on the support thread that feedback would be provided to GHL in regards to an option for power outage non auto alarm reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_digital View Post
In regards to vunerability, although this is not assurance to you, this is the first ever reported case we or GHL have had in 11 years, as typically as system does not need such a long top off period, but as I first stated I have already passed your feedback onto GHL and you are welcome to do the same on the German support forum.
Again we are really sorry to hear about such losses and as a gesture we will do all we can to make the OP feel very much assured and looked after as always
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

I’m sorry to see this happen to you and your tank. It really is sad regardless of the cause and hopefully we can learn from this and go forward as a reefing community and be better for it.

I have to say I was impressed with the input, concern, and support from both Aqua Digital and GHL on this matter. This shows the level of care and support they are willing to give to even an individual customer. On the flip side I think it could have been avoided with a few changes to the set-up.
I’ve been an avid ProfiLux user for many years now and as such (like so many of us) we go on and on about remote access and monitoring via the controller itself. I’ve taken some long vacations and even with my controller working as it should I make sure all my email notifications and alert are working as planned before I leave the house. I go through my own personal “Equipment Checklist” trying to test each “system” before I leave for a trip. Also the house I just moved out of had a terrible problems with the electric company (power outage almost daily sometimes 5-6 times a day… we stopped setting out digital clocks while we lived there) and as such after the first couple of days living there I put my ProfiLux onto a UPS. Not to carry it through a long power outage but to help level out the incoming power blips and keep the system from going through multiple power cuts a day. This was probably the best $75 I ever spent on my system. It was “Life Support” for my tank’s Life Support. The 4 year old sensor didn’t help matters which I see they are willing to replace that and whatever else the OP And GHL work out. The “Auto Reset” issue is being looked at and I’m glad to see they are keeping an open mind about potentially making changes to their firmware to help avoid this in the future.

Even with all the fail-safes in the world there is no substitute for “Human Intervention” which is why remote access is so important. Being able to get a snapshot of your system status is extremely important regardless of which controller you’re running. ProfiLux has allowed for multiple options for remote access/control for the very reason that the posted situation would not arise.

I’m sorry this happened to you and I plan to watch your tank thread(s) to hopefully see your system bounce back and be better than ever before. Hopefully it’s a learning experience for all of us and can teach us a few lessons: a) regardless of the # or type of fail-safe systems involved we must all make sure everything is in top order before leaving b) make sure we can have total remote access of all vital criteria (alerts etc) before leaving c) the importance of electronic devices being “isolated” from repeated on/off cycles due to power fluctuations d) when I get home tonight I’m going to take some time to go through my ProfiLux and make sure my max ATO run-time is minimal to keep this from happening.

I look forward to seeing your system recover from this and flourish like I’m sure it will in time. I live a LONG way from you but if there is anything I can do to help I’d be willing to give it a shot. I’ve had crashes before and it was the reefing community that kept me going when I wanted to just quit it and forget it! If there is anything I can do please don’t hesitate to drop me a PM and I’ll reply right back.

BigAl