Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Beccadawn is on a distinguished road
Default Size of Aquariums in Condos?

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to buy my fist place & the most important thing to me is my pets. Now the building that I'm currently looking at Statra Bylaws states that I'm allowed a reasonable number of fish...it doesn't state a size restriction at all. What is a reasonable number of fish? And does that mean I can bring my 300 gallon system What size systems do you guys have/had in a condo? Is there any other issue you can see? Oh I've only been looking at concrete because I assumed it would be stronger & could buffer the noise. Now I just need to find a building that will let me have more then 2 fluffy pets.....

Thanks so much!!!
Becky
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

I would definitely contact the strata council - ask for a gallon amount because with something so vague as "a reasonable number of fish" they can decide What that number is After you've set up and they don't want it in the building! I mean, yeah, you could have just two fish (both sharks!) in a 400g system.... but I doubt they'd be cool with that
I was on my own strata council for years (SO glad to be done with it and be in a house now) and sadly that's the way it often works.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

There are websites that will give you the weight per square foot of standard size aquariums at their operating weight. I would show this to the condo association and ask what the floor will support. 2ft wide tanks actually spread the weight out better so maybe a 120g would be a "reasonable" size?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

All depends on how the building is built. After I purchased my place i found out that I wasn't allowed a tank over 40gal. Booo

try to find a building made out of concrete. I know a certain someone on here has a 150gal on the 6th floor. but ceriously, make sure its concrete
Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

I have a 50 gal with no issues. but ultimately like others have stated its up to strata.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 AM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

BTW concrete floors are designed to the same load (live/dead) that wood floors are, so that won't make much difference.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 AM

SAMSHUNG is on a distinguished road

5th floor of concrete building, 55gal + 5gal sump. No problems. I think even a 75-100gal tank would work if I had the room.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic111 View Post
BTW concrete floors are designed to the same load (live/dead) that wood floors are, so that won't make much difference.
depends. I have no idea which way the I beams are running in my building. And personally I wouldn't risk my neighbour underneith me getting an unwanted shower
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 AM

SAMSHUNG is on a distinguished road

I've never heard concrete creak.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 AM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

I am just saying it don't make much difference.. Floors are designed (residential) to carry around 40lbs/ft2 live load (plus fudge factor).

Spanning accross more joists does help some, but even a concrete floor is done the same way, the reinforcing in the floor spans like joists.

Generally concrete floors are used for larger spans than wood joists can do.

Not all floor systems are 'I' joists either, they may be open web, or even just 2x10's.

What I am getting at, is there is no right answer, each floor maybe different on how they will handle the load. The further the clear span, the more problems you may have, and the smaller tank.

The only way to truely answer on how big of tank you can have on a floor is to have a structural engineer review the floor system from building drawings. Or just play it safe and figure how much your tank & system wieghs, and figure out the load per ft2.

This is what I do for a living, so I have a good idea what I am talking about.