Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-19-2016, 06:58 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Pictors please?

Agreed though, I find its when I start sticking my grubby hands into the tank that things start going bad.

KISS method FTW.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Pictors please?

Agreed though, I find its when I start sticking my grubby hands into the tank that things start going bad.

KISS method FTW.
coming.

was playing around with my new t5i and took a bunch before I did the WC.

It's funny just how many things benefit from the KISS principle.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

My tank is fairly low tech/maintenance as well, but I do find that sizable water changes on a 21 day cycle help keep things from getting too nasty with respect to algae. Also ensure my fish are fed daily with an auto feeder & when I'm home a mysis/brine shrimp treat in the evening. I have a spawning Maroon Clownfish pair & Mama needs nutrition to do her thing. Nori clip for Yellow Tang.

Have found just as yourself that a certain amount of algae is definitely beneficial to the pod population, which in turn benefits other critters that may populate your tank. I don't get bent out of shape at the sight of a few wads of green hair algae. Don't run a sump so I've learned to tolerate it in the display. I consider it a highly efficient method of reducing nutrients and its FREE. Periodically I get in there and manually pull some of the big wads. I do have a skimmer, old school wooden air diffuser driven. Seeing the goo that it pulls is sufficient to make me think it's probably a good thing to keep running.

Of course this methodology is not appropriate for an SPS dominant tank. I do have some monti caps that are growing gangbusters, but I'm sure more delicate species would not do that well in my system. That's fine, I glean all the enjoyment I can handle from my mixed reef. Fish are fat & well adjusted as far as I can tell. ULN is not for me. This hobby offers so much diversity & avenues to pursue, in the end, whatever keeps one interested & entertained is fine, provided the livestock doesn't suffer. Obviously you've been in it long enough to discover what works well for you.

EDIT: .... don't test much using kits either, can't recall last time I did, month ago? My test is daily DILR (Does It Look Right). Had the tank long enough now that I know something's up pretty quick without resorting to a test tube.

Last edited by mike31154; 01-19-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Personally, I've gone months (up to 9 months after my first daughter was born) without a water change. The tank did suffer a bit because I have a high bioload, but it can be done. My friends Chin and TomR told me before Felicia was born that my first born would consume all my free time and energy so I had to get my tanks ready for months of minimal maintenance. GOOD ADVICE!!!! If I had to do it over again, I probably would have sold off half my fish to reduce my bioload before the baby was born.

As I tell all newbies, reefing is as much an art as it is a science. There are many ways to achieve a successful reef (especially if you're NOT doing SPS heavy). You should run away from anyone who tells you that there's only one way or the highway when it comes to reefing. After all, one person can use minimal equipment and have a thriving reef, while someone else may have all the high tech toys, computerized everything and still kill corals cause they have a "black" thumb. What works for one reefer is NO guarantee it'll work for someone else. Even something like mineral replenishment proves this point. Some reefers use automated dosers, some use 2 part, some use Calcium reactors, others use Kalkwasser, some just do regular water changes and others do none of the above, but mostly keep non-SPS corals. Yet we can all think of example tanks using each method that are thriving (and examples that are less than thriving). If I had the time and space, I would set up a fish room like TomR's and just do very regular water changes and not worry about dosing anything. However, as everyone who was here on Saturday could see, I don't have that kind of space in my home. So I have to do what works for me.

Another KISS advocate is Daniel (YVR/Carrera) always has one of the most beautiful tanks around, yet he also does it skimmerless and with almost no fish load. A couple of small fish are necessary (IMO & IME) to help "feed" the corals).

One of my first reef tanks was a KISS 35g hex seahorse tank and several friends still tell me its their favourite tank of all the ones I've ever set up. I had a HOB filter and small powerhead. Infrequent water changes. A pair of WC seahorses I trained to eat PE mysis. Lots of macro algae for biological filtration, seahorse hang-out posts, and cause prolifera & red halimeda is just pretty. It had a mat of pulsing xenia growing up the back panes and, to be honest, I still miss that tank.

The main problem is that most of us like a high bioload, so we need high powered skimmers and lots of equipment or time spent maintaining our tanks to ensure the high fish load doesn't kill our corals by reducing water quality. Low bioload allows you to get away with no skimmer and no water changes for months on end. I wouldn't recommend this for an SPS tank, but for hardy LPS and softies, it is entirely doable (as the OP's tank proves).

However, I admittedly LOVE having my big tangs & a higher than normal bioload so now I employ big skimmers (Deltec AP701 & Deltec SC 2060) on my main reef (165g with 90 wide sump) to handle the fish load. Many reefers have posted in the past about NOT using 2 skimmers on one system since they claim one will negatively affect the performance of the other. My response is that this is my tank and if it works for me, then so be it. If it didn't work, then I would pull one skimmer out and end this experiment.

Similarly, I always have a refugium with macroalgae and LR rubble in my sumps. And now, in all my tanks (fw & sw) I have either media reactors or stockings full of hydroton for biological control. Again, its what I have found over the years (decades really) to work for me and considering the number of tanks I keep and my busy schedule, reducing my maintenance times and number of water changes is critical.

We each need to find what works for us, for the time we have or what fits our level of passion (or lack thereof). If we all did what everyone else is doing, most of us would quit after a couple of years out of boredom. I think being able to find our individual way of trying to keep a thriving reef is what drives many of us addicts to stay in this addiction.

Its why I get bored with fw so quickly. Reefers, in general, seem to like a challenge and finding what works for each of us is part of that challenge.

Sorry for the essay.

Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 01-19-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

great posts guys.

Very informative stuff.

It's nice to hear reefers like Anthony who's probably tried every method of practical (and impractical) fish keeping around has had similar experiences.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:12 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

ok but something we can all agree on, gobytron needs to take "perpetual water changer" out of his signature...
Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
ok but something we can all agree on, gobytron needs to take "perpetual water changer" out of his signature...

read things over a little more carefully this time, huh?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:12 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Your words

Quote:
The algae on the glass was so bad, you could not see into the tank to see what was going on.
My reply

Quote:
So the moral of the story is if you don't maintain your tank it will be so algae filled that you can't see whats in it but the stuff in it will still be alive?

So........ya..........not seeing what I'm reading wrong....
Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Banned

an algae filled tank and a tank where the glass is covered in algae are 2 very different things.

seems fairly straight forward?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

kudos to you for providing food for your sea hare, I would imagine he's the one that kept this tank together all this time. I know mine did when I neglected my tank

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.