Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
No they all tubling. I posted a picture and not a video so its hard to tell. I guess I could take a snap of them with the pump off and then with the pump on so that you could see... But I've already made some changes and removed a lot so there isn't really any point now. With the amount that was in there the reactor was about 2/3 full with the pump off. With the pump on it looks like its completely full.
Ah cool, pic is very decieving.

Not saying you have to do this, but I run 3 liters on my system (180G, with 100G sump/refuge) How much are you running, maybe run more.

I know I run alot for my system, but I have researched that it is quite hard to overdose on these, and since I have a big bioload, I found what I run to be working well.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 07-28-2010, 06:08 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I had posted that I was running the minimum recommended amount for my systems net water volume which was 400ml. However I just removed some this morning because some things in the tank didn't look so good. So now there is just 250ml. Yes I'm kind of paranoid but I think that trait has helped me to avoid a lot of disasters already. If everything starts looking better I'll go back up to 400ml eventually. If I try to fit any more I'll need another reactor. And since Nitrate and Phosphate are already undetectable in my system and my bioload isn't too bad I don't think I'll be doing that.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 AM

I'm having a pretty busy week. The tank finally settled down after a few days of bacteria bloom from the pellets. The water is looking clear again and the coral and fish are no longer oxygen deprived and distressed. Here is how the reactor looks at the moment with just 250ml inside. It is tumbling, its just hard to tell because it is just a picture.

As I think I mentioned the skimmer was pulling quite a bit out for the last few days. Here is how it looked and underneath is how it normally looks.

I've got big plans for my frankensump tomorrow (note: I just fed the fish so my foam head has collapsed, this is normal). I've decided to tear down my 50gal frag tank and convert the sump into a frag trough. I'm going to remove the 50gal's return and overflow and the area where I've been trying to grow macro algae. Then I'm going to move the skimmer to the left outside of the sump and part all of the rocks to the sides as well. Once everything has been moved out of the way I'll put all of the coral that is in the 50gal in the middle and hang one of my Lumenmax pendants above.

For some extra flow in the sump I've picked up two Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400 powerheads. I may leave them to run constantly or I may plug them into the controller and have them alternate... I haven't decided yet. (EDIT: after reading some reviews I'll just leave these to run constant and not on a wave maker) I'll post some more pictures tomorrow when the dust clears.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 07-30-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 AM

After about 5 hours of setting up and then cleaning up here is how frankensump looks this evening.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 08-05-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 AM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

That is a lot of work and it looks much better. You can enjoy watching what's going on in frankensump.
I like the price tag idea of labelling plug-ins.

Mitch
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm into the second week of pellet usage now. All of the tank inhabitants seem to be growing and looking the same as they always have. The skimmer has settled down a little bit although its still producing more than it would in the past. The cyano in the sand is back... perhaps in time it will go away as the tank adjusts to the pellets.

I received two new additions this week from Tang Daddy. The first is 3/4" of a Hawkins Enchinata and the other is 5/8" of some kind of blue tort. They certainly don't look like much now but hopefully if I'm careful with them they will grow into nice colonies in a few years.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 08-15-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:01 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Hey. Nice job on the sump. So was there any reason behind the downsize?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 AM

Growing out frags in the sump provides me with more space than the 50gal. More space equals more frags. Also, because its in the sump there is no glass or fishing line to clean. While suspending frags has some advantages, the fishing line was an algae magnet requiring constant tedious cleaning because no herbivorous invertebrates could service it. I also expect that downsizing to less system volume will improve the skimmer's performance as there is now less water to process.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Your tank is spectacular. Sump looks much better
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 AM

I'm into the 4th week of Vertex bio pellets. I've noticed a few changes but nothing too spectacular. My bubble coral seems to be inflating larger than normal and the polyps on my gorgonian extend out more than they used to. The skimmer also produces slightly more foam than it was. Other than that the tank seems to be functioning the same as it has been which is great. Nitrate and phosphate continue to be undetectable even though I'm not using GFO anymore and I've cut back to only 5-10gal weekly water changes. My whole objective behind trying this new product was to find something that would save me money on GFO and salt and they seem to be doing the trick.

I'm now growing this macro algae in my frag area under the MH. I used to have it under 16W 6.5K CF bulbs and it barely did anything (I also used to run GFO...). But now its growing at an exponential rate.

There is still just 400ml in the reactor but I've had to turn up the flow to try and keep the pellets from binding together.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM