Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM

vic622 is on a distinguished road
Default Room divider install suggestions pls

Thinking of doing a built-in room divider in my new place in a highrise condo - a 4' tank so either a 90gal or 120gal and a sump underneath.

I'm trying to figure out some dimensions to give my contractor.

How high should I build the stand if I have 8' ceilings so the whole setup is balanced and still viewable & serviceable?

The top will be enclosed and wall would be about 8' long.

Any suggestions?

75gal Reef
35 gal sump/fuge ~ about to move all to new condo!

Ottawa Tank Build
My 1st Reef Tank Build
Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 PM

I guess that it's also called a penninsula tank.

I'm thinking in the 32"-34" range - What has anyone else used & how do you find it, especially for ease of maintenance on the display and in the sump below it?

75gal Reef

Ottawa Tank Build
My 1st Reef Tank Build
Old 08-31-2014, 08:06 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

The most visually appealing (to me anyway ) is to have the top third point in height of the tank close to eye level. With the two tanks you mentioned the height (most common anyway) is 22" or 24", so you want the eye-height above 16" up the tank, on a 6' person that puts the bottom of the tank at 40" to 56" from the floor.

Just my opinion.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I usually go the same height as my counter tops (36"). Good for standing viewing and about perfect for me for seated viewing. At this height I can do all maintenance from the floor and I use a 2-step step stool if I have to ever reach the bottom of the tank with my hands. This also gives lots of room for the sump and skimmer and lots of height left above the tank.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 PM

That's how I hang paintings etc, too.

I thought about doing it this way, but I don't know if I want it that high for a tank because most of the time it will be viewed from either the dining room or living room, but sitting down.

Be nice to try with a 36" or 48" tank to have the extra height, but maybe not the extra lighting you'd need for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
The most visually appealing (to me anyway ) is to have the top third point in height of the tank close to eye level. With the two tanks you mentioned the height (most common anyway) is 22" or 24", so you want the eye-height above 16" up the tank, on a 6' person that puts the bottom of the tank at 40" to 56" from the floor.

Just my opinion.

Charles

75gal Reef

Ottawa Tank Build
My 1st Reef Tank Build
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 PM

i was wondering about that - If I knock down the wall in the kitchen and put in an island, I'm thinking the tank (which would only be 5-10' away) would have better symmetry if it was at counter height.

Do you have enough room underneath for the sump with skimmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I usually go the same height as my counter tops (36"). Good for standing viewing and about perfect for me for seated viewing. At this height I can do all maintenance from the floor and I use a 2-step step stool if I have to ever reach the bottom of the tank with my hands. This also gives lots of room for the sump and skimmer and lots of height left above the tank.

75gal Reef

Ottawa Tank Build
My 1st Reef Tank Build
Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

my peninsula tank sits on a stand that's about 34" high and that has worked out well. Mind you, I'm sort, so I didn't want my tank much higher. The tank itself is only 20" high. I suppose if I was taller I could get away with a taller stand that would give me more room underneath. But in 5 years of running this tank I haven't found it an issue working under there.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:12 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic622 View Post

Do you have enough room underneath for the sump with skimmer?
I have 2x4's at the stands base followed by 1/2" plywood and 1/2" foam for the sump to sit on. The top of the stand is cross braced with 2x4's as well. On top of the foam I have a standard 29g tank converted into a sump and my skimmer is 21" high. I have no problems removing the entire skimmer out of the sump even with losing 8" of height under the stand due to building material. The height of your sump and skimmer size should be taken into consideration when planning out your stand.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 AM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post

Just my opinion.

Charles
I agree if you are standing to admire your tank. I like to sit at my desk and view the tank at a height of 34 inches stand height. I guess it depends on how you like to view your tank.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:28 AM

I remember seeing your tank on a trip to Calgary, while I was still living in the East Kootenays. Very nice installation.

You didn't have a top going up to the ceiling, I think, and it seemed balanced in the space.

My custom stand (at the time) could have used a couple of extra inches of space under the stand, so I'm being more cautious on this build ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
my peninsula tank sits on a stand that's about 34" high and that has worked out well. Mind you, I'm sort, so I didn't want my tank much higher. The tank itself is only 20" high. I suppose if I was taller I could get away with a taller stand that would give me more room underneath. But in 5 years of running this tank I haven't found it an issue working under there.

75gal Reef

Ottawa Tank Build
My 1st Reef Tank Build