Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-31-2014, 02:41 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default How do I properly clean live rock

So I bought a bunch of new live rock to soon replace the rocks in my tank because they not very pourus. Before I do that how do I fully clean my new rocks with muriatic and bleach? Can someone please give me step by steps instruction on how to do this correctly and safely?

Thanks

Jason
Old 08-31-2014, 04:17 AM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44859

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

if you bought live rock don't kill it with acid thats the point of live rock

if you bought dry or dead rock then go through the process of acid if u want or the process of curing or making them live
Old 08-31-2014, 07:29 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post

Don't see where it shows how to get rid of all the gunk deep inside the rocks in that post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
if you bought live rock don't kill it with acid thats the point of live rock

if you bought dry or dead rock then go through the process of acid if u want or the process of curing or making them live
The rocks I got came from a sump that was shut down and looked rly dirty. Even with good live rock I wanna make sure everything is 100% fresh because I believe my rocks in my tank are leaching phosphate thus the large amt of hair algae I'm having. I wanna make sure this won't happen again.

I have about 70lbs of rock I wanna clean. Can I just put it in a garbage bin and pour like a gallon of bleach into it with water then leave 1-2 hrs and flush clean with hose then do it again but with muriatic acid for 1-2 hrs or am I missing something
Old 08-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I just did this with my rock. Worked wonders! What sized bins do you have?

Here is what I did. I made two 40 gallon garbage bins into my rock holders. I put a drain in the bottom so that I could quickly and safely drain after each cycle.

Soaked rocks in a bleach bath for 24 hours. I used 2 gallons of bleach in each bin, and the live rock was 3/4 of the bin. Not sure what the ratio would have been.

Drained bleach mix. Pressure washed all the rock. Put back in the bins and filled with water and poured a medium sized bottle of prime into the buckets for dechlorination. Let soak for 24 hours.

Then came the acid bath. I used a total of 2 gallons of muriatic acid. Remember....NEVER add water to acid. Always add acid to water!!!

So I filled the bins with water, and poured 1/2 gallon of acid into each bin....extremely carefully. The reaction was instant. I waited until the major foaming stopped, and added the second jug to the bins. I then let the mixture sit for about 4-5 hours.

Then I added a crap load of baking soda to neutralize the acid. I let that sit for about 20 minutes. Then I drained the bins, and powerwashed all the rock again.

I then filled the bins with RO water, and let the rocks soak for another 24 hours. After that I removed the rock and placed it all on a tarp, and let it sun dry for a week.

After this process, I was left with really nice clean, white rock. Worked well for me.

Please remember to wear gloves, eye protection and a resperator when you're doing the acid. I wore a regular paint respirator and at one point could still feel burning in my lungs. Its nasty stuff and needs to be handled extremely carefully.

Best of luck!

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 08-31-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

Bleach soak

Acid bath

Finished product

Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
I just did this with my rock.
I'm curious what the rock does 3 months after the tank is setup? I used dead rock, against what I normally advocate, and regret my decision. I didn't do the bleach/acid thing, but cooked it for a while.
Curious if this purifying actually does any better?
Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

I have yet to use it. Its actually going into my tank tomorrow, so time will tell. The way I see it, its similar to using the bulk reef saver rock. I set up a tank with the fiji reef rock and seeded it with a couple nice pieces of coraline covered live rock from another tank. After the diatoms and the hair algae, I just put a massive cleaning crew in, and it came out awesome. Im hoping this will be relatively the same. We'll see I guess lol

Old 08-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Gold Member

And I will also add, that the only reason I did this, was that a lot of my fuge rubble had a byropsis issue. And some of the larger pieces of rock had pests when I got them. I didnt have much of a choice unless I wanted to try and battle pests in my tank.

I have had great success using live rock from the store, but at $8.00/lb a large tank filled with nice store bought rock wasnt in the budget this time around.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
After the diatoms and the hair algae, I just put a massive cleaning crew in
That's where I'm at now. My rock isn't bad, but I'm comparing it to my last build when I used fresh rock. I didn't have any of these issues and nutrients were never measurable. Currently sitting too high on NO3 and PO4 for my liking, and not convinced it's going to get better any time soon.

I figure if things aren't under control by end of month 3, I'm replacing the rock with fresh stuff.