Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

The 3/4" feet were rated for 2100 lbs each but the flange on the nuts were far wider than the tubing.

The feet are simply for leveling, they don't change where the weight is distributed at all. It is always going to be under the 6 uprights. I do agree that they should be extended as little as possible.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM

The screws just kept the flanged nuts in place while they were welded on the inside.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM

I guess you can't really see the inside of the leg mount from my other pics. Here is an example of the flanged nut style used, about 5/8" of threads. I also spot welded the back side and drilled the opposite side of the tube to accept the extra leg length.

If I was starting the steel stand from scratch I would have done a few things different but I think this will do the job, held this tank up for nearly 15 years already

Thanks for the kind comments, it's shaping up nicely and I am really glad I changed from a corner overflow to the 48" Calfo with a Bean Animal drain, very quiet and pulls a huge sheet of water off the top. The closed loop will be interesting to tune once the sand and rock are in as well. Hoping to hide all of it.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 PM

The inside of the overflow is simply 3 90s threaded in to the bulkheads, 2 pointing down and the emergency pointing up. I painted these fitting black.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Very nice, this is what I want to do with my 8' - 300gal. Complete coast to coastand thinking of doing 2 set of 3 drains like yours.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

How is that Reeflo pump working out for you? Mine is ridiculously noisy however they are replacing it so just curious as to how loud they should actually be.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 AM

It seems reasonable for the amount of water it moves. It is out in the open at the moment but I think it will be okay in a cabinet and sitting on a gel mousepad.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmak View Post
It seems reasonable for the amount of water it moves. It is out in the open at the moment but I think it will be okay in a cabinet and sitting on a gel mousepad.

I have the same pump. The mousepad should help a lot; I used two layers of carpet underlay. Make sure that no part of the pump or even the plumbing is touching wood floor or walls or the vibration will be very loud.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I have the same pump. The mousepad should help a lot; I used two layers of carpet underlay. Make sure that no part of the pump or even the plumbing is touching wood floor or walls or the vibration will be very loud.
+1 to that about the 'no contact to structures' as it will definately make noise. I have absolutely no contact between my pumps and my tank. Spa-flex all the way and everything is isolated the best I can. It was hard to do, and I re-plumbed it twice so as to have no contact at all. Made it very hard to position my over-the-top return. I'm glad I did it.
I initially clamped the return to the wall to make the spaflex form to it's position, but after a day or so I removed the clamps and it's been good ever since.
And if the mousepad idea doesn't work for you, I use this stuff to keep a pair of Eheim 1262s quiet
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=cl-amgr19
Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 PM

Water softener / RO/DI in place and the start of a mixing station. Still deciding on the plumbing details to get water to the DTs.