Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 AM

Pop Alexandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoHuman View Post
I built my own CREE high power LED system but could not find anything available in Canada.

Everything is in the US.
Have you tried NDR? I found they have a lot of LED systems in stock.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:33 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Vouch for rapid led !!! they are awesome i ran there DIY for years and now im still running there corona and its been epic

there support is some of the best

you'll be happy
Old 02-21-2020, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I've been running my DIY led light for over 7 years now and although I'm currently having a few issues, my lights have been excellent. About 75% of them came from Rapid and the rest came from Reefleds. Both were very good to deal with but I get the sense that Rapid is more involved in the aquarium industry these days. Remember when you build your lights you need to keep in mind the forward voltage on each string. I ended up trying to mix bins up when I first was making the lights but found large differences by bin in the forward voltage and ended up not mixing things.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

I built something using meanwell power supplies from mouser.ca and ordered cree COB leds from aliexpress. You can get heatsinks from mouser.ca in all sorts of shapes & sizes, too. Google for a heatsink calculator to find out how much heatsink you need with/without fans. Check the local listings for large aluminum scrap for a cheap source of heatsink material.

I learned how to drill & tap aluminum as I went & wished I bought multiples of the taps so that when I broke one I didn't have to wait to get another. Some of the LEDs I was just lazy & epoxied them to the aluminum with thermal epoxy. In hind sight I wished I used one of those high frequency dimmers earlier on, the ones which are put on the voltage output of the power supply. They pulse the power at a high frequency, maintaining a solid voltage out so you don't get colour shifts. I could then dial in a maximum voltage on the main power supply and use the dimmer unit to tweak output. It was far safer than worrying about my power supply outputting too much voltage for the leds because I turned the pot's knob just a little too far.

Last edited by kwirky; 05-31-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:10 AM

DonnaHamilton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland_673 View Post
I have been looking for a company that manufactures/sells DIY LED retrofit kits in Canada. I have found a good site RapidLED but they only ship within USA. So does anyone have a contact or company that does such work as RapidLED???

Ok so I found out that Rapid LED does ship to Canada!!! this is the system I am looking at:

https://householdprof.com/best-g9-led-bulbs-review/

SO with this setup on a 25g (15" deep) what will this light sustain, with my 2X24W T5HO Hagen Glo??

Thanks.
I’m looking for a single slot LED retrofit kit in good working condition, do they make them, if so can i get one.
Simply just needed to state Now i am happy that i stumbled onto your page.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:31 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

This is a 10 year old thread. Lol. A lot has changed since then. I would try ledgroupbuy.com. it was stared by a member years ago and has all your DIY led supplies