Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-04-2016, 10:36 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road
Default stocking advice

Hi all,

just looking for some feedback on my stock. I've read that you should put the most aggressive fish last so that is what ive been trying to do. However on my last trip to King Ed, the guy pointed out there really is never a last fish, Its a vicious cycle (some might kick it from bullying, bad health, etc.). Do I take the plunge now and add a tang, or keep waiting for the other specific fish I want to come in stock?

My biggest fear is not being able to introduce other fish once I have a tang in the tank, or a cheap fish sh*tkicking a expensive one, which I have read about in some cases online, but im getting annoyed looking at an empty tank lol

thoughts?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:05 PM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road

It's always a problem getting fish to get along with each other. My experience is that tangs,angels and damsels should go in last. Otherwise new fish hide in the rocks or die. Exceptions could be trigger fish and probably others someone else could mention and you could stock your aquarium that way.

Another problem is that the LFS usually always only have damsels, tangs and angels!

AquaAddict
Old 08-04-2016, 11:26 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend making a large breeder box out of a clear container to put in the tank. New additions go into it for all the fish in the tank to check out and get used to. If a fish in your tank is trying to attack the fish in the breeder box, you know not to add it in your system yet, or at all.

Generally it is best to add the most aggressive fish last. What I have access to has always been the way I've had to go though.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:30 AM

thanks...

i bought an acclimation box which i'll now use to make sure the fish i get wont be attacked, and to make sure it is eating before i release it into general pop.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:37 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

As mentioned above, it's a bit of a crap shoot
You get all the gentle fish you want, then 1 dies before you can add the aggressive ones
Or you add everybody and are finally happy, then 1 dies

IME, I've just put up with the aggression that occurs when adding new fish

I built an acclimation box that is pretty large compared to what you can buy from the LFS, and it didn't help much. All it did was freak out the existing fish when I opened up the bottom hatch to let out the captives ... the residents swam into it and got trapped 'cause they were too stoopid to find their way back out

Old 08-05-2016, 03:36 PM

hmm based on your pictures, a bigger acclimation box is a good idea. Thanks Gregzz