Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-24-2008, 03:16 AM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road
Default Flatworm Exit?

Has anyone ever used flatworm exit without a canister filter? The only filtration I have is a sump but it says that you must use activated carbon in a canister filter. I don't want to go out and drop a bunch of money on a filter to only use it once. I've removed all my fish & coral from the tank so the only things left in there are my live rock, 4 large nassarius snails & 3 turbos. Do you think rigging up some carbon in cheesecloth to my flow would work just as well?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 AM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

Might or if you havea sump that you can force it through may work as well.....
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

The carbon is to help remove the medication after treatment as well as the noxious substances given off by the dead flatworms. Running it passively in a media bag is fine, but won't be as efficient as having water forced through it in a canister filter. The most efficient way of utilizing carbon is with an upflow reactor like a TLF Phosban reactor.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
The carbon is to help remove the medication after treatment as well as the noxious substances given off by the dead flatworms. Running it passively in a media bag is fine, but won't be as efficient as having water forced through it in a canister filter. The most efficient way of utilizing carbon is with an upflow reactor like a TLF Phosban reactor.

I agree. Good call on removing your fish first. I've used flatworm exit as well as two other people I know and in all of our cases we lost fish. Definitally do some big water changes too! Good luck.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 AM

J.Lloy is on a distinguished road

I just used exit on my tank Sat afternoon and was seeing results within five min. Started right away with a canister loaded with carbon as well as my phos system which has carbon. After 2 hr. my tank looked well stressed, did a 5% water change then and another 5% the next morning. I ended up losing a couple small fish, chromis and I think a wrasse. With no stock in tank it is a plus but if you have alot of flatworms then they will kill everything left in the tank ( i'm thinking of pods, stars). I'd try to get a hold of a canister barrow one if you have to then try to kill in stages. Good instructions in box, I'd fallow as close as possible.

My 2 Cents
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

I think I may just return the stuff and depend on my wrasse. I'm not sure I like the idea of this chemical in my tank. I wasn't even thinking about it killing the good little critters which would make sense.............not good.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:13 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Oh, I think I should respond to this... Flatworm exit is intrisically safe (I've used it numerous times without a single unexpected loss) for everything but the flatworms. The problem arrises with the death of the flatworms.

The 10g when I first treated (2005?); had a horrid infestation - water turned orange almost immediately.... I don't follow directions; kinda ignored that part about turkey baster/powerheads/ getting out as many as possible. Carbon in a AC300 and 2x 80% w/c's was easily able to keep things in check. No losses, and if I recall I was amazed at the pod population explosion after.

Just retreated my 65g last week; didn't spend any time trying to get out the flatworms I could... Guessed at a volume of 100g total (closer to 80ish), doubled the dose - cuz I'm sick of treating this tank for flatworms... No issues 30g w/c after, used a filter sock on one of the sump returns filled with carbon to remove as much as possible.

And thanks for reminding me - I'm gonna go dose the 65g again to make sure I got em all :P
Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 PM

scuglass is on a distinguished road

Ive read that you should prolly siphon as many out as possible before treating so you dont release as much toxins from their death into the tank....

Where did you get the FW exit? I cant seem to get it in calgary.... and my wrasse isnt working
Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Yep you should syphon them out... I've never been one to follow directions

In theory FW exit is no longer legally sold in canada... However a few stores have been known to have leftover stock...
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 AM

The-new-guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Oh, I think I should respond to this... Flatworm exit is intrisically safe (I've used it numerous times without a single unexpected loss) for everything but the flatworms. The problem arrises with the death of the flatworms.

The 10g when I first treated (2005?); had a horrid infestation - water turned orange almost immediately.... I don't follow directions; kinda ignored that part about turkey baster/powerheads/ getting out as many as possible. Carbon in a AC300 and 2x 80% w/c's was easily able to keep things in check. No losses, and if I recall I was amazed at the pod population explosion after.

Just retreated my 65g last week; didn't spend any time trying to get out the flatworms I could... Guessed at a volume of 100g total (closer to 80ish), doubled the dose - cuz I'm sick of treating this tank for flatworms... No issues 30g w/c after, used a filter sock on one of the sump returns filled with carbon to remove as much as possible.

And thanks for reminding me - I'm gonna go dose the 65g again to make sure I got em all :P
+1

I have used exit a few times with no problems. My 6 line ( the only fish in the tank) did not miss a beat. The tank only has soffties and LPS in it but all opened up that day and the days to follow. Just run carbon after.